WD2013 : Won't allow tables to break across pages

Anonymous
2013-02-23T00:36:16+00:00

I am an intermediate level user of word but seem to be getting stuck on this item with WD2013.  Routinely when I create or paste in tables, WD2013 will not allow the tables to break across pages.  I have done the usual table properties checks (allow break) and paragraph checks (keep with next) but no luck.  I am admittedly only a few weeks old with WD2013, so I'm hoping it is just another setting I'm missing in the new format.

**email address**

Any help is appreciated.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T15:54:14+00:00

    Hello..... I was able to turn off "Repeat header rows" for the first row of my table (which is a very long box of text).  However, for all other rows, there is a checkmark and it is grayed out for "Repeat header rows".  I can't seem to turn that off and

    • based on some above posts - maybe that is why my table (long box of text) won't break into two pages.  It just seems to want to continue going down past the bottom margin and beyond......!  Any advice????  Thanks in advance.  (I am using Office 2016.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-21T00:27:26+00:00

    I struggled with this issue as well, and I finally figured it out: For my table, it had to do with the Text Wrapping of the table (not the text wrapping of the text).  Here was my fix:

    • Right-click any spot on the table and select Table Properties
    • In the Table tab, look under "Text Wrapping". If it says "Around", change it to "None"
    • Click OK

    If the text wrapping for the table is already set at "None", then your issue is not the same as my issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-08-11T19:51:23+00:00

    It makes sense that Word tables won't break to the next page if all rows are set to "Repeat header rows," because it would be impossible to enforce that setting. However, it would be a lot better if Word simply prevented you from enabling the option for all rows, of course.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-11T17:26:06+00:00

    Had the same problem with Office 2016.

    When I selected the entire table and told it to "Repeat Header Rows," the entire table moved to the next page and would not break.

    When I selected ONLY the header row to repeat, and then selected "Repeat Header Rows," the table broke properly across the page and repeated the header row.

    If I deselect "Repeat Header Rows" and then select the first couple of rows and again select "Repeat Header Rows," it repeats the first couple of rows.

    So you can have multiple repeating header rows. Nice. But not entirely intuitive!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-07-13T13:24:47+00:00

    This worked for me! Office 356 on Windows 10. New document. New tables created with the Insert - Table icon. Tables have captions above them created with the References - Insert Caption icon. Setting "Text wrapping" set to "Around" on the Table tab of Table Properties fixed the tables not breaking across pages problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments