Word 2010 - list number style wont restart at 1

Anonymous
2013-01-29T15:06:46+00:00

I am using the default list numbering in a pretty basic but large (450 page) document.  No macros, no custom styles...I am simply using the default headers and the list numbering.

the trouble all started when i decided it would look better to left align the list numbering.  When I have done this type of thing with regular headers there has never been a problem.  You can easily apply new formatting and apply to the entire document. 

With the List Number style this didnt work.  I found online a suggestion of using the Set Numbering Value at 1 each time which I have been doing for over 2 weeks now but the lists keep reassigning the starting numbers arbitrarily so some lists start at 98 and others at 74 and on and on.  I keep changing them back to start at 1 but again they reset themselvs.

This is an instruction manual so there are alot of short lists (steps on what to do) within alot of sections.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-09-12T22:24:18+00:00

    Reformatting a document may involve a lot of manual "intervention," as you have noticed. I'd still set up the styles properly and then (re-)apply them to text paragraphs as needed (but I understand that you hesitate to do so in a short document).

    Indentation (on the left side of paragraphs) is especially tricky with numbered styles, because you have to set it up in the multilevel list dialog box; you can't reliably do it in the Paragraph dialog.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-16T19:05:06+00:00

    Hi,

    Try this Youtube quick instructional video, it explains how to customize your ribbon (at the top of your screen when you are in Word) so you can restart numbering in any list....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps3aQ0CZ8kM

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-09-16T21:36:45+00:00

    While this gives access to the restart numbering command (not as easily putting it on the QAT but probably better organizationally) the one-minute video does not address the inherent scrambling in Word numbering done without tying it into styles. For documents that are going to be heavily edited or go through multiple hands, tying numbering to styles as set forth in this article is crucial.

    How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2007 and Word 2010

    Archive How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2007 and Word 2010

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-13T15:36:00+00:00

    was trying to fix this problem myself for documents at work. I know this was over a year ago you had this problem, not sure if you got it fixed or not. if not check out this link..

    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/microsoft-office/correct-a-word-document-when-lists-wont-renumber-correctly/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments