Word 2010 - list number style wont restart at 1

Anonymous
2013-01-29T15:06:46+00:00

I am using the default list numbering in a pretty basic but large (450 page) document.  No macros, no custom styles...I am simply using the default headers and the list numbering.

the trouble all started when i decided it would look better to left align the list numbering.  When I have done this type of thing with regular headers there has never been a problem.  You can easily apply new formatting and apply to the entire document. 

With the List Number style this didnt work.  I found online a suggestion of using the Set Numbering Value at 1 each time which I have been doing for over 2 weeks now but the lists keep reassigning the starting numbers arbitrarily so some lists start at 98 and others at 74 and on and on.  I keep changing them back to start at 1 but again they reset themselvs.

This is an instruction manual so there are alot of short lists (steps on what to do) within alot of sections.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-09-02T12:22:23+00:00

    Using a multilevel list is exactly how you should set up restarts for numbering in Word. Level 1 can be an un-numbered "dummy" level/style, as you have noticed.

    Personally I would use Body Text rather than Normal for level 1, but that is (to a certain extent) a matter of taste. :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments