Word 2010 - list number style wont restart at 1

Anonymous
2013-01-29T15:06:46+00:00

I am using the default list numbering in a pretty basic but large (450 page) document.  No macros, no custom styles...I am simply using the default headers and the list numbering.

the trouble all started when i decided it would look better to left align the list numbering.  When I have done this type of thing with regular headers there has never been a problem.  You can easily apply new formatting and apply to the entire document. 

With the List Number style this didnt work.  I found online a suggestion of using the Set Numbering Value at 1 each time which I have been doing for over 2 weeks now but the lists keep reassigning the starting numbers arbitrarily so some lists start at 98 and others at 74 and on and on.  I keep changing them back to start at 1 but again they reset themselvs.

This is an instruction manual so there are alot of short lists (steps on what to do) within alot of sections.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-12T16:14:16+00:00

    This is exactly what I need as well. I thought this was possible but I must have used something similar to this in FrameMaker. I need the ability to create a style ('ListParaStart') that uses numbering but restarts the numbering at 1. This would save me a huge amount of clean-up editing time in our documents. I am really surprise there is not an option for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-06T13:43:42+00:00

    I too would like to restart the numbered lists my document. I know how to manually restart the lists throughout the document but is there a macro available that could do this for me?

    I have Word 2010.  I did try the method suggested by Shauna Kelly but I did something wrong along the way. It was very frustrating to say the least but I did try the method as outlined by Shauna.

    Is there a macro that will restart every numbered list in my document?

    Thanks!

    Sue

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-05T16:08:50+00:00

    If using the List Numbering in the styles the numbers do seem to start from 1 and go all the way to 'wherever' depending on how many lines you have allocated to that style. If you change text or add to the list the numbers increase / decrease throughout the document as single list end to end and it seems impossible to reset the numbers to 1. To change the numbers seems impossible by using either the formatting tools in the Word 2010 'Paragraph' section - if you click on the 'Set Numbering value' and change to 1 for a given set of bullets nothing happens - very frustrating.

    What I found was if you ignore the formatting parts of 'styles' and 'numbering' you can do what you need simply.

    Go to the bullets with the wrong numbering and select just those bullets and then right click. The options you have presented are, from the top, Cut, Copy, Paste Options with icons and below this is a nice trick called 'Restart at 1' - click this and even these styled bullets will change back to 1. You should be able to do this throughout the document. It works and the tension will fall away!! Goodness knows why you cannot do this from the fomatting section at the top of Word!

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-02-02T19:58:34+00:00

    Please note that Word and WordPerfect are very different programs. Experience of one program won't necessarily be useful in the other...

    Whenever you want to change the indentation in an existing numbered list, the link I already posted (http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/NumberAlignment2007.htm#NumberedLists) should be helpful. Did you try it?

    However, in the long run, as Doug has already mentioned, setting up an outline list is the best way to control restarts. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-01-31T20:46:50+00:00

    My advice is to follow the steps in Shauna Kelly's article to which I gave you a link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments