A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Did anyone ever solve this for you? Funny, I was having the same issue and it really was a simple fix; that is, after I figured it out. I couldn't find an answer anywhere and here is one of those places. In 2010, Just double click on the "A" or first letter/number of the list you want to restart, and then right click, where you will have the option to choose restart list.
This is a rather old thread, by now. I don't remember if the possibility of restarting via the right-click (context) menu was ever discussed. Sometimes, that option may be preferrable (as you have noticed).
That said, note that using the right-click menu means that you force a restart on the list. It sets a "restart marker" which overrides the numbering format. A more robust approach is letting higher levels of a multilevel list restart lower levels.