A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Old thread but I hope my answer will help someone. I tried the document that is linked to in one of the answers but it doesn't quite work for me.
What I wanted was to do two things:
- Change the indent of the default List Number style and it's children;
- Have the List Number style reset to ''1' for each new list.
The problem I had was that the list would not reset and I'd have to manually reset each list whenever I did a modification upstream in the document. Also, the margin reset didn't stay set.
Here's how I solved my problem:
- Set a paragraph to the default List Number style.
- Right click on the paragraph and select the Adjust Line Indents option.
- In the dialog box select level 1.
4. Link this level to the default style (usually Normal)
4a. Set number style to (none)
4b. Set alignment and test indent at 0 (or whatever you want)
4c. Set following number with to 'nothing' and uncheck Add tab stop at: checkbox
- Select level 2
- Link this level to default List Number style
6a. Set start at = 1
6b. Select your number style and enter the formatting
6c. Select the Restart list after: checkbox and select Level 1
6d. set alignment and indent as you wish
- You may continue to link level 3 to List Number 2, Level 4 to List Number 3, etc.
Click OK.
Now all you have to do is to ensure at least one paragraph in the default style is between lists to ensure they restart at 1.