How to import multiple xml file into excel

Anonymous
2012-09-13T00:07:12+00:00

I have a lot of xml files which need to be imported into single excel file. I can able to import one by one but cannot select all at a time to import.

Is it possible to do through batch process or any other process?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

66 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-12T13:50:51+00:00

    Hi,

    try this code, in order to import ALL xml files into sheet1.

     

    1. Open a new wb
    2. save as .xlsm (macros enabled)
    3. in a regular module, paste  the following code..

    note: xml files are in path "c:\folder1\folder2\xml folder" (change as needed)

     

     

    **Sub From_XML_To_XL()**On Error GoTo errh

    Dim myWB As Workbook, WB As Workbook

    Set myWB = ThisWorkbook

    Dim myPath

    myPath = "c:\folder1\folder2\xml folder" '<<< change path

    Dim myFile

    myFile = Dir(myPath & "*.xml")

    Dim t As Long

    t = 1

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    Do While myFile <> ""

    Set WB = Workbooks.OpenXML(Filename:=myPath & myFile)

    WB.Sheets(1).UsedRange.Copy myWB.Sheets(1).Cells(t, "A")

    WB.Close False

    t = myWB.Sheets(1).UsedRange.Rows.Count + 2

    myFile = Dir()

    Loop

    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

    myWB.Save

    Exit Sub

    errh:

    MsgBox "no files xml"

    End Sub

     

    TasosK,

    Thank you for this code. It works great. Is there anyway to modify it so that the headers do not display. When I import my 1000s of XML files, the XML map header comes up each time. I would ideally like just one header in row 1 and each following row just to be the data.

    /my:myFields
    /@xml:lang /my:AnalysisView/my:InboundConcat
    en-US 65 AAA
    /my:myFields
    /@xml:lang /my:AnalysisView/my:InboundConcat
    en-US 65 BBB
    /my:myFields
    /@xml:lang /my:AnalysisView/my:InboundConcat
    en-US 97 CCC

    If possible, I would like the first two rows only to appear one time and not duplicated for each entry. So it would look like this when imported:

    /my:myFields
    /@xml:lang /my:AnalysisView/my:InboundConcat
    en-US 65 AAA
    en-US 65 BBB
    en-US 97 CCC

    Thank you for your advice and assistance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-12T21:04:34+00:00

    Works perfectly!

    Thank you for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T01:48:56+00:00

    Hello,

    I used this code and it works perfectly. The issue I am having now is that when I use it for my 27,000 XML files, it appears that the XML Map is not the same for every file. These are infopath files and some of them are from different versions with extra fields or rich text boxes with addtional data being imported.

    Since I have so many files and further sorting and filtering of the data is becoming tedious, I need to define an XML map so that each column in the workbook is showing the same field. Right now some of the newer versions of the form have data in different order, so they are importing under a different column. All the files have the same field titles, so I am hoping that defining a xml map will solve this problem and they will all import in the same order and apend to the same map.

    I would like to define an xml map in row one

    ActiveWorkbook.XmlMaps.Add( _

            "C:\Users\tim\desktop\example.xml" _

            , "myFields").Name = "myFields_Map" 

    and then import an entire folder of xml files that will be append to that same xml map. Keeping one file per row.

    Thank you for your time and wisdom,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments