Userforms and VBA in Word 2007/2010 - Combobox with addresses

Anonymous
2012-02-09T23:44:33+00:00

Hello,

I've been trying to get used to working with User forms, and I've gone as far as being able to create a form, but I am uncertain how to code it to work with a template.  I'm still waiting for some books to come in that I ordered to help me out, so in the mean time I'm looking for a little assistance from you amazing people :-)

The main thing I'm trying to work on is creating a combobox so that I can have a very long list that will continue to grow as I obtain more contacts.  I wanted to use dropdown form fields but realize I can't exceed 25 items per dropdown field.  I could use several dropdown fields to call the data from another document, but I'd like things to look clean.  So I think a combobox will be a much better option.  I want the combo box to have the names of all my contacts, and once a contact is selected, I want their entire mailing address to appear at the top of my letter template.

So let's say I select 'Option1' in the combo box, I'd like the top of my letter to show something resembling the following:

Recipient Name

Address

City, State/Province

Zip Code/Postal Code

I hope I've explained what I'd like done clearly enough, but if you require further explanation I'd be happy to provide.  If there's a better way to do this I'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-10T07:04:41+00:00

The simplest solution, if you have it, is to use Outlook to both store the addresses and provide an address book dialog to insert the addresses where you require them. This is covered at http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm.

If you want to list the addresses on a userform you will need a multi-column list box and somewhere to store the addresses - probably a document containing a table or perhaps an Excel worksheet, which can be read into the list box. Take a look at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/Old_Tip_Pages/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm.

You can then populate a document variable with the contents of the selected item and use a docvariable field to reproduce the value from the docvariable in the document.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-16T08:44:29+00:00

Don't use bookmarks with a protected form, use a docvariable field in the document and write the value of the selected item from the list box to the variable. Then the protection becomes irrelevant.

If using a multi-column list box, then you will need to re compile the address from the list box columns in the format you require into the variable. Something like the following. I have set the listbox to display only the first column to avoid clutter.

Insert { DocVariable Address } into the document at the place you want the address to appear.

Option Explicit

Private oVars As Variables

Private oSource As Document

Private oTable As Table

Private oRng As Range

Private strWidth As String

Private i As Long, j As Long, k As Long

Private m As Long, n As Long

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Set oSource = Documents.Open(FileName:="C:\Addresses.doc", _

                             AddToRecentFiles:=False, _

                             Visible:=False)

Set oTable = oSource.Tables(1)

'Get the number of list members (i.e., table rows - 1 if header row is used)

i = oTable.Rows.Count - 1

'Get the number of list member attributes (i.e., table columns)

j = oTable.Columns.Count

'Set the number of columns in the Listbox

With Me.ListBox1

    .ColumnCount = j

    strWidth = .Width - 2

    For k = 2 To j

        strWidth = strWidth & ";" & 0

    Next k

    .ColumnWidths = strWidth

    'Load list members into an array

    ReDim myArray(i, j)

    For n = 0 To j - 1

        For m = 0 To i - 1

            Set oRng = oTable.Cell(m + 2, n + 1).Range

            oRng.End = oRng.End - 1

            myArray(m, n) = oRng.Text

        Next m

    Next n

    'Populate the ListBox using the array

    .list() = myArray

    .ListIndex = 0

End With

'Close the source file

oSource.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables

oVars("Address").Value = Me.ListBox1.Column(0) & vbCr & _

                         Me.ListBox1.Column(1) & vbCr & _

                         Me.ListBox1.Column(2) & vbCr & _

                         Me.ListBox1.Column(3)

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Unload Me

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-06T05:24:19+00:00

    There is only so far that you can go with suggestions without access to the documents. If you are able to send me the template and the worksheet you are using to populate it I will see if I can spot the error. Use the link on the home page of my web site.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-06T17:26:57+00:00

    I think I found what the problem is:

    I read somewhere that a listbox can only hold a maximum of 10 columns.  Is there any way to increase the maximum number of columns in my listbox?  I only want the first two columns visible in the listbox but the rest of them are necessary behind the scenes.  So I'll have to set the widths of the columns after the 2nd column to 0.

    I made a test worksheet with only 9 columns, copied exactly as you provided previously into my code and it worked.  So now there's just this one obstacle of seeing if I can increase the maximum number of columns this listbox can hold...

    Do you have any solutions for this?  If you still need to see my work I'll send you an email.

    Thanks again!

    Edit:  I also read that there's a rowsource property I should be using.  I'll keep messing around with it to see if I can make it do what I want to do, but so far I haven't had much luck - if the above information helps and you know what I should do I would reallllllly appreciate your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-07T11:49:33+00:00

    I just thought of a work-around:

    Maybe if I use the code you provided except used multiple listboxes and hid the ones I don't want to show anything behind the one listbox, then get the code to populate those other listboxes with the rest of the information I need from the worksheet. 

    I mean, that sounds kind of messy, but if it's all I can do then it works for me lol

    Anyway, have a great weekend and I look forward to your reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments