Userforms and VBA in Word 2007/2010 - Combobox with addresses

Anonymous
2012-02-09T23:44:33+00:00

Hello,

I've been trying to get used to working with User forms, and I've gone as far as being able to create a form, but I am uncertain how to code it to work with a template.  I'm still waiting for some books to come in that I ordered to help me out, so in the mean time I'm looking for a little assistance from you amazing people :-)

The main thing I'm trying to work on is creating a combobox so that I can have a very long list that will continue to grow as I obtain more contacts.  I wanted to use dropdown form fields but realize I can't exceed 25 items per dropdown field.  I could use several dropdown fields to call the data from another document, but I'd like things to look clean.  So I think a combobox will be a much better option.  I want the combo box to have the names of all my contacts, and once a contact is selected, I want their entire mailing address to appear at the top of my letter template.

So let's say I select 'Option1' in the combo box, I'd like the top of my letter to show something resembling the following:

Recipient Name

Address

City, State/Province

Zip Code/Postal Code

I hope I've explained what I'd like done clearly enough, but if you require further explanation I'd be happy to provide.  If there's a better way to do this I'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-10T07:04:41+00:00

The simplest solution, if you have it, is to use Outlook to both store the addresses and provide an address book dialog to insert the addresses where you require them. This is covered at http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm.

If you want to list the addresses on a userform you will need a multi-column list box and somewhere to store the addresses - probably a document containing a table or perhaps an Excel worksheet, which can be read into the list box. Take a look at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/Old_Tip_Pages/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm.

You can then populate a document variable with the contents of the selected item and use a docvariable field to reproduce the value from the docvariable in the document.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-16T08:44:29+00:00

Don't use bookmarks with a protected form, use a docvariable field in the document and write the value of the selected item from the list box to the variable. Then the protection becomes irrelevant.

If using a multi-column list box, then you will need to re compile the address from the list box columns in the format you require into the variable. Something like the following. I have set the listbox to display only the first column to avoid clutter.

Insert { DocVariable Address } into the document at the place you want the address to appear.

Option Explicit

Private oVars As Variables

Private oSource As Document

Private oTable As Table

Private oRng As Range

Private strWidth As String

Private i As Long, j As Long, k As Long

Private m As Long, n As Long

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Set oSource = Documents.Open(FileName:="C:\Addresses.doc", _

                             AddToRecentFiles:=False, _

                             Visible:=False)

Set oTable = oSource.Tables(1)

'Get the number of list members (i.e., table rows - 1 if header row is used)

i = oTable.Rows.Count - 1

'Get the number of list member attributes (i.e., table columns)

j = oTable.Columns.Count

'Set the number of columns in the Listbox

With Me.ListBox1

    .ColumnCount = j

    strWidth = .Width - 2

    For k = 2 To j

        strWidth = strWidth & ";" & 0

    Next k

    .ColumnWidths = strWidth

    'Load list members into an array

    ReDim myArray(i, j)

    For n = 0 To j - 1

        For m = 0 To i - 1

            Set oRng = oTable.Cell(m + 2, n + 1).Range

            oRng.End = oRng.End - 1

            myArray(m, n) = oRng.Text

        Next m

    Next n

    'Populate the ListBox using the array

    .list() = myArray

    .ListIndex = 0

End With

'Close the source file

oSource.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Set oVars = ActiveDocument.Variables

oVars("Address").Value = Me.ListBox1.Column(0) & vbCr & _

                         Me.ListBox1.Column(1) & vbCr & _

                         Me.ListBox1.Column(2) & vbCr & _

                         Me.ListBox1.Column(3)

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

Unload Me

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-08T14:24:11+00:00

    I found another workaround that does the job without all the extra coding.

    I created a new macro button in excel to copy the data from excel into the word table I'm presently using, since the Word table doesn't have any issues using more than 10 columns.

    The main reason I wanted to use excel is so that I can freeze the header row and column A so that when I add new information I can easily see the items I'm adding and for which client.  The below provided by Hanz does exactly as requested without all the extra junk:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/copy-contents-of-all-cells-from-excel-to-existing/22eca255-55cf-47ec-b5cb-0e153058e7cd?page=1&tm=1333894903108

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-08T12:00:14+00:00

    Which brings me to hopefully my last post on this topic... this one's really been dragged out lol... I at least hope others benefit from it as well...

    When I use the code you provided to me below, how would I tell it to apply only a certain range of columns to go into a listbox?  This might sound crazy, but I have a total of 35 columns, so I'm going to have to hide 3 of the listboxes that I'll have to add into this.  These columns contain client information that absolutely need to be separated, so concatanation is not an option.

    So in the first listbox, I will include columns 1 through 10, making only the first two columns visible, setting widths of columns 3 through 10 to 0.  The second, third and fourth listboxes I'll hide to the right of the userform as you suggested - clever suggestion by the way - but will contain columns 11 through 20, 21 through 30, and 31 through 35 of the same data source.

    Also, how do I set the userform width in code?  Never seen that one before.

    Below is as provided for the excel datasource I'm using:

    Dim xlApp As Object

    Dim xlWB As Object

    Dim xlWS As Object

    Dim cRows As Long

    Dim cCols As Long

    Dim i As Long

    Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

    Set xlWB = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Templates\TemplateDocs\ClientInfo.xlsx")

    Set xlWS = xlWB.Worksheets(1)

    cRows = xlWS.Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

    cCols = xlWS.Cells(1, xlWS.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

    ListBox2.ColumnCount = cCols

    With Me.ListBox2

    .ColumnCount = cCols

    strWidth = .Width - 2

    For k = 2 To cCols

    strWidth = strWidth & ";" & 0

    Next k

    .ColumnWidths = strWidth

    For i = 2 To cRows

    .AddItem xlWS.Cells(i, 1)

    For j = 1 To cCols

    .List(.ListCount - 1, j) = xlWS.Cells(i, j + 1)

    Next j

    Next i

    End With

    Set xlWS = Nothing

    Set xlWB = Nothing

    xlApp.Quit

    Set xlApp = Nothing

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-08T07:05:21+00:00

    A technique I sometimes employ is to increase the width of the userform and put temporarily hidden stuff on the extra width at the right of the form, then set the width of the form in code to the original narrowed width, which has the effect of hiding the extra width of the form and all it contains. This makes it easier to maintain the form which still shows double width in the VBA editor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments