Office Word 2007 Configures Every Time A Word/Excel Document Opens

Anonymous
2013-02-28T19:11:06+00:00

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, every time I want to open a Word or Excel file, the Office Word 2007 Configure Wizard runs.  Why?  And, more importantly, how can I stop it?

I used the 2007 Diagnostics Tool numerous times but it says there is no problems to correct.  I beg to differ.

Can someone tell me how to make it stop configuring?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-23T17:26:35+00:00

This video fixed this issue for me:  https://youtu.be/QxjkuhmdfaI

Running Windows 10 x64

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller\SETUP and renamed to SETUPold and Word opened fine.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-01T13:41:24+00:00

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting the question.

As per the description provided you find the configuration window when you try to open Word or Excel application.

Let me assist you to stop the configuration window when you open Office applications.

Which windows operating system do you use (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7)?

You may follow the steps to register DWORD value and check if it helps:

  1. Take a back up the registry before proceeding with the next step. Refer the link on How to back up the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 (Windows XP)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry (Windows Vista)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry (Windows 7)

  1. Click on Start, Run. (Windows XP and Windows Vista)

    Click on Start, under Search Program and Files (Windows 7)

  1. Copy and paste the DWORD value (without the quotes) given below to register Office applications Click OK.

Following are the DWORD values for Word and Excel applications:

a. Word 2007 “reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1”

b. Excel 2007 “reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1”

Restart the computer and check if you are able to open Office applications without the configuration window.

I hope the above steps help. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Office related issues let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-28T01:26:15+00:00

I was experiencing the same problem and made the change to the Excel 2007 Registry entry as shown but still it has to configure each time I start Excel.  None of my other Microsoft Office 2007 applications do this.

After performing the change suggested I exported the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options registry entries which are listed below.  Any other ideas to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options]

"FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"SP1FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"OptionsDlgSizePos"=hex:48,03,00,00,ad,02,00,00,a4,01,00,00,b7,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00

"DefaultSheetR2L"=dword:00000000

"UseSystemSeparators"=dword:00000001

"ThousandsSeparator"=","

"DecimalSeparator"="."

"Options95"=dword:00000001

"OptionFormat"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00,00,00

"Pos"="176,232,1260,764"

"TipShown"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"NoReReg"=dword:00000001

"StickyPtX"=dword:00000185

"StickyPtY"=dword:00000108

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-29T21:01:27+00:00

    Well, after all the suggestions here, and others on the internet, I finally gave up trying to stop the Configure Wizard from running every time I wanted to open a file.

    So, I called Microsoft and purchased a physical copy of 2010 Word/Excel.  Uninstalled every shred of 2007, installed 2010, and goodbye Configure Wizard.

    Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and time.

    Best,

    Theresa

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-03T08:30:41+00:00

    Office 2007 Configuration wizard runs every time you start any Application (word, excel, etc)? Here is the solution!

    There are many methods you can try for the above problem, but I have outlined three here:

    1st method:

            Locate the setup file involved in this mess: go to the following location (for x86 computers): C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller

            Or, (for x64 computers): C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller

            Next, simply rename SETUP.EXE. I made it NOSETUP.exe

    OR

    2nd method:

        Exit Word 2007.

            Start Registry Editor. Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:

            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options

            In Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

            If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or clickContinue .

            In Windows XP, click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

                    Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:

                   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options

            After you select the subkey that is specified in step 2, point to New on theEdit menu, and then click DWORD Value .

            Type NoReReg , and then press ENTER.

            Right-click NoReReg , and then click Modify .

            In the Value data box, type 1 , and then click OK .

            On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments