Office Word 2007 Configures Every Time A Word/Excel Document Opens

Anonymous
2013-02-28T19:11:06+00:00

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, every time I want to open a Word or Excel file, the Office Word 2007 Configure Wizard runs.  Why?  And, more importantly, how can I stop it?

I used the 2007 Diagnostics Tool numerous times but it says there is no problems to correct.  I beg to differ.

Can someone tell me how to make it stop configuring?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-23T17:26:35+00:00

This video fixed this issue for me:  https://youtu.be/QxjkuhmdfaI

Running Windows 10 x64

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\Office Setup Controller\SETUP and renamed to SETUPold and Word opened fine.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-01T13:41:24+00:00

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting the question.

As per the description provided you find the configuration window when you try to open Word or Excel application.

Let me assist you to stop the configuration window when you open Office applications.

Which windows operating system do you use (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7)?

You may follow the steps to register DWORD value and check if it helps:

  1. Take a back up the registry before proceeding with the next step. Refer the link on How to back up the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 (Windows XP)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry (Windows Vista)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry (Windows 7)

  1. Click on Start, Run. (Windows XP and Windows Vista)

    Click on Start, under Search Program and Files (Windows 7)

  1. Copy and paste the DWORD value (without the quotes) given below to register Office applications Click OK.

Following are the DWORD values for Word and Excel applications:

a. Word 2007 “reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1”

b. Excel 2007 “reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1”

Restart the computer and check if you are able to open Office applications without the configuration window.

I hope the above steps help. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Office related issues let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-28T01:26:15+00:00

I was experiencing the same problem and made the change to the Excel 2007 Registry entry as shown but still it has to configure each time I start Excel.  None of my other Microsoft Office 2007 applications do this.

After performing the change suggested I exported the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options registry entries which are listed below.  Any other ideas to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options]

"FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"SP1FirstRun"=dword:00000000

"OptionsDlgSizePos"=hex:48,03,00,00,ad,02,00,00,a4,01,00,00,b7,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00

"DefaultSheetR2L"=dword:00000000

"UseSystemSeparators"=dword:00000001

"ThousandsSeparator"=","

"DecimalSeparator"="."

"Options95"=dword:00000001

"OptionFormat"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00,00,00

"Pos"="176,232,1260,764"

"TipShown"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

  00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

"NoReReg"=dword:00000001

"StickyPtX"=dword:00000185

"StickyPtY"=dword:00000108

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-02T20:11:52+00:00

    I wasn't able to back up the registry.  The link did download, but when I tried to run it I got a message saying it wasn't "available at this time."  Tried three times and got the same error message.

    Decided to follow the suggestion with the DWORD values anyway.  I did Word and Excel, then rebooted, and Word was fixed.

    I rebooted, then did Excel a second time, rebooted again, and Excel was also fixed.  So, to repair you have to do the DWORD values separately.

    I was going crazy with this issue for days, and was extremely surprised that I got a Forum response so fast.  I thought it was going to be like that ridiculous site Get Satisfaction.  They answer you with information that has absolutely nothing to do with the question you asked!

    Anyway, thank you soooooo much, Raju S Das, you're solution was perfect!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T19:40:41+00:00

    Oop's I spoke to soon.  Excel files just started running the Configure Wizard again!

    I followed the original instructions numerous times but some, not all, files continue to configure every time they're opened.  I even tried saving them as new files with different names, but it doesn't stop.

    The fact that only certain Excel files configure points to some bug that refuses to hit the road.

    Theresa

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments