Subscript Out of Range error when importing into Access 2007 from Excel.

Anonymous
2010-06-16T03:47:16+00:00

I have been importing Excel files for years. I recently upgraded to Access 2007 on a shared server (Windows Server 2003 R2, Service Pack 2) and now I can't import. Every time I get "Subscript out of Range" when I use the Import Wizard. The file is correct with the correct field names and data. I have tried importing into different tables and always get this error. I can try an .xls or an .xlsx file and neither work.

I have to paste the records in.

Help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-03T16:30:08+00:00
  1. Just on a whim here, do you column headings use any Reserved Words (or

Wildcard Characters) that might confuse Access?

This was my problem. I had Serial# and # a few other places!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-08T11:26:24+00:00

    Hi,

    I experienced this issue today and resolved it by deleting extra lines and columns of my Excel file.

    Access was trying to create empty lines in my database.

    I selected lines under my data in Excel and right click + deleted it. Same with the columns.

    Hope it helps.

    Nunue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-30T19:11:04+00:00

    Yes have confirmed other elements are not at issue.

    I import these files every single week, same errors... until today.

    I would add that all of these files import individually just fine... it's just when I try to do more than one at a time it crops up.

    For example, I have three similar files with same format. I can import those in any order any time. The other files have different numbers of columns. Those I can only do one at a time.

    I discovered that when I leave the import function and do something else then come back to import the out of range error clears. It's weird but after years of dealing with this stupid import error I have a workaround that doesn't involve closing out and re-opening the database(s)!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-30T17:56:23+00:00

    Can't say that would be an issue, I do it all the time.  Have you confirmed the other issues mentioned in this thread are not an issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments