Subscript Out of Range error when importing into Access 2007 from Excel.

Anonymous
2010-06-16T03:47:16+00:00

I have been importing Excel files for years. I recently upgraded to Access 2007 on a shared server (Windows Server 2003 R2, Service Pack 2) and now I can't import. Every time I get "Subscript out of Range" when I use the Import Wizard. The file is correct with the correct field names and data. I have tried importing into different tables and always get this error. I can try an .xls or an .xlsx file and neither work.

I have to paste the records in.

Help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-03T16:30:08+00:00
  1. Just on a whim here, do you column headings use any Reserved Words (or

Wildcard Characters) that might confuse Access?

This was my problem. I had Serial# and # a few other places!

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-01T02:04:42+00:00

    I was getting the same error for a while too. It was very annoying.

    It came down to my column names and making sure the columns were formatted for the correct data in Excel before importing it into Access. Once I made sure the column names were identical (including copying and pasting the formatting from/in Excel), I didn't get the name errors. And once I made sure the formatting (date, text, yes/no boxes) was correct, the "Subscript out of Range" error disappeared and I was able to save the import process so I don't have to do it all over again if the source file gets updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-04T17:34:37+00:00

    Had the same thing. Did Save As and chose older version Excel and that file imported fine!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments