Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-03-04T23:47:39+00:00

    We've reported this to the Word team, but unless someone can provide specific repro steps, I don't think there's much they can do, as they have been unable to reproduce the error, and most users don't seem to be able to pin down exactly what they're doing to trigger it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T03:25:04+00:00

    I just got this issue last week when i went to get a new keyboard from Microsoft Store for my SURFACE 1.

    It sucks and it has now made me HATE this machine.  MS is out of its mind for taking such things so lightly!  If this problem has been going on since 2013... they should have sorted it out by now.  whats the use of having a community

    FORGET reproducing it!!! WHO CARES... we are all VERY VERY VERY savvy software users and technologists.... we are not talking Yeti or UFO here!    If your cow falls in a ditch... first get it out of the ditch.. THEN figure out why it fell in the ditch. 

    GIVE ME A BUTTON OR LINK TO KILL THIS STUPID FEATURE... i dont care whether u can reproduce it.

    Also, note that Alt-F11 does nothing for me with this new Surface keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T04:40:23+00:00

    If Alt-F11 doesn't work to open the VBA editor can you open it via the Developer Tab > Macros? I am not familiar with the Microsoft Surface but is it running a full version of Word 2013 or is it cut down in some way for tablet users?

    And please tone down the rant - this best answers on this forum come from unpaid volunteers who just happen to like helping people and have good knowledge of the software. Yelling at them is not going to help you get answers to the problems YOU experience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T06:21:55+00:00

    I think mine is a keyboard problem on the Surface. I was using a newer purchased backlit one for my Surface Pro as I am a consultant who travels a lot to developing parts of the world and a back lit keyboard is very useful on long haul flights and when power failures occur as one is working on a critical document.

    I switched back to the non-backlit keyboard and did not had the problem for 3 weeks. I did have the problem while working in Word during a power failure last night but I can't swear that I did not hit the wrong key in the dark.

    Will report if the problem has returned.

    Now I have another problem, why is my new backlit keyboard I bought in December 2013 causing this behaviour on the Surface Pro 128 I bought July 2013?

    Best,

    Tony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments