Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-11-23T13:10:20+00:00

    The Research Pane is opened with Alt+click. If you are trying to column-select, make sure to keep the mouse button depressed while you drag; if you let it register a click while you have Alt depressed, the Research Pane will open.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T06:36:38+00:00

    I am working with Word on the Microsoft Surface tablet. Being a Macintosh user and student, the reason why I bought this tablet was because it has Word on it. So far, so good. Except, while trying to write my thesis, this Research bar pops up almost every time I want to highlight something (which is obviously often!). Now I know how the thing turns on: though probably the easiest 'mistake' or 'shortcut,' if that's what you want to call it, one can make while typing. But please, please tell me, how do I turn it off and banish it forever? Computers come with web capabilities. I don't think we're lazy to the point where we can't click on the internet icon when we ACTUALLY want to research something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-21T11:54:32+00:00

    I am having this problem on the Microsoft Surface and it is driving me insane. I am working on very large documents and need to cut and paste stuff very often from my 24 member team. It is had got to the point where my productivity is now down to about 50% of what it should be.

    I need help now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-31T14:38:50+00:00

    Same problem with the Word program packaged with Microsoft 365 in 2013!   Not glad to see Microsoft ignoring this major annoyance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments