Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T21:07:11+00:00

    I've been hunting around for a while on help on what is causing this, so I can't help tell you how to replicate it, although I do it multiple times per day when I'm on my Surface, but I have figured out how to stop it.  I also have weird problems in Outlook where I somehow activate keyboard shortcuts in the midst of the text of an email, so for example, any time I type a "t" the time appears, etc.  Again, no idea what causes it, but I figured out how to turn it back off (until it inevitably comes back again) and my solution also works for the research pane in Word.

    Just hit Alt+Shift.  That turns "off" whatever has been turned "on" and you can close the Research pane and go back to what you were doing.  It also turns off the weird keyboard shortcuts in Outlook so you can go back to typing.

    If anyone figures out what gesture or key combination is causing this, let us know and I will happily snap off that key or stab it repeatedly with a sharp knife to prevent it ever happening again.  It is extremely annoying, but having the shortcut to turn it off makes it possible to continue working without having to restart the computer, which was too annoying to do more than once while trying to compose and respond to emails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-06-25T21:11:35+00:00

    The keyboard shortcut to insert the time (in Word and Outlook) is Alt+Shift+T. It sounds to me as if your Alt and Shift buttons are getting stuck somehow. Clicking them again unsticks them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T21:31:15+00:00

    Thanks!  That's helpful.  Will try the AlT-Shift.

    Also, FWIW, I only seem to have problems when I'm using the touchpad mouse.  When I have my Arc wireless Mouse in use, I don't seem to have any issues.  Definitely think it's a keyboard issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-27T12:45:29+00:00

    Thanks!  That's helpful.  Will try the AlT-Shift.

    Also, FWIW, I only seem to have problems when I'm using the touchpad mouse.  When I have my Arc wireless Mouse in use, I don't seem to have any issues.  Definitely think it's a keyboard issue.

    I think it is definitely the keyboard. I have a Surface Pro 2 with the backlit keyboard and the problem happens all the time - forcing reboots (until I read about the Alt-click & Alt-Shift remedies on this forum). I also have a Surface Pro 1 with the older 'Type' keyboard - which is much better. I have used the older keyboard on the Surface Pro 2 and the problem doesn't occur.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments