Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-19T19:06:53+00:00

    That doesn't work. Somehow it turns itself on. I close it, but it won't stay closed or let me edit my document. As soon I try to do anything, the Research Pane reopens. The only thing that works is to close Word and then restart it. Research is nothing by an effing pain in the a$$!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-05T17:46:50+00:00

    I just had this "show up" when creating a Word document.  And like Scott, it will not stay closed.  I'll try closing the document and then re-opening it!!!  And I agree with his comment - this "feature" is not necessary and a pain!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-15T08:08:34+00:00

    I also got stuck in this catch 22 situation. However it turned it self off when I swapped to another open Word document, marked some text and then swapped back to the one I was in when the problem started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-23T12:29:20+00:00

    Like everyone else, I feel that this is a serious issue that Microsoft needs to fix. For no reason, the research panel will pop up, and closing it does no good.  Sometimes I can shut it off by going through the laborious process of closing the document then reopening it. But sometimes the research panel just pops open again. Microsoft needs to get its act together on it's flagship word processing program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments