Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T22:43:57+00:00

    I can now REPRODUCE the problem causing erratic behavior. I am using MS Surface Pro 2, Win 8.1 RT with all the lastest updates, Office Pro Plus 2013, and the backlit keyboard.

    1. Can cause Research Pane to pop up, unsolicited on applications that support the research pane.
    2. Can cause editing to be disabled in fields or forms in certain circumstances in applications such as IE or Outlook (and Word documents, when Research Pane has been disabled).
    3. Can cause Toolbar to engage unintentionally in response to keystrokes. (on IE)
    4. Can cause double-click highlighting of words to be disabled temporarily in MS Word.

    The problem can be reproduced by swiping your finger across the mouse pad from right to left, followed immediately by a mouse movement and double click on the document you are editing. Note: swipe from right edge to engage Windows menu.

    It seems that by invoking the Windows menu (Search, Share, Start, Devices, Settings) either with the mouse or by swiping the screen with a finger, can cause Windows to override the application and force the application's toolbar or research pane to pop up in response to keystrokes; or any of the other behaviors indicated above. Looks like the Windows menu was designed to disappear automatically, when accidentally invoked. However, if you try to force it to go away by clicking within the application you're working with, it will cause unexpected, erratic behavior.

    The best way to resume work is Alt + click anywhere on the document your are editing. (Annoying, but keeps you productive). If the Research Pane refuses to go away Alt+ click on the X to close the Research Pane should do the trick...that is, until you accidentally engage the Windows menu, again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T18:58:09+00:00

    I have the same problem as all of the other users. In MS Word 2013, on a brand new Surface Pro 2 with backlit keyboard, running Windows 8.1 updated to latest release and patches.

    1. Shortcuts that worked in previous versions of Word do not work on this platform. Examples: Alt + F11 does not display VBE in Word. Alt+Shift+F3 does not change case of highlighted word. (I discovered through trial and error that it has changed to Shift
    • FN + F3)  I'm sure there are other shortcuts that are not working. These are the two that I've tried.

    To get to the Visual Basic Editor in Word 2013 you must add the Developer Toolbar to the Ribbon. It includes the VBE button. Right click on the ribbon and you will see the options to customize the ribbon. Then follow Ms. Barnhill's instructions. This will eliminate the Research Pane from appearing in the document you are currently working on. It WILL NOT permanently eliminate the the Research Pane from appearing in future documents.

    1. The Reseach Pane DOES seem to appear out of the blue, for no apparent reason. It then reappears from time to time. I am not sure which keystrokes cause this problem. It is not, however, caused by Alt+click, which works fine on my platform. Once the problem begins to happen the only way to get rid of the Research Pane is by holding down Alt while clicking the X box to close the Pane. This process should close your Research Pane, even if it keeps reappearing every time you click on the document.
    2. I have also experienced problems of highlighted text that prevents all further editing of the document. I had to close all open applications before I could close the document I was working on. Then, I was able to reopen the document, and it began to work properly.

    Word 2013 is NOT functioning properly on this platform. Microsoft should take it back to QA. I am a very patient user, but I am seriously considering returning the Surface Pro 2 due to multiple usability issues - not just with Word, but with other applications, as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-24T21:03:17+00:00

    Inadvertently "alt+click" is not the only thing that initiates the research pane on my brand new Surface Pro 2.   Once it starts, ANY click in the document causes the research pane to open.  Closing it with the X in the top right corner only closes it until the next click.  This is not a case of people mis-typing Alt+click.    I have been having this problem in Word and Excel and am beginning to think it is a problem with the keyboards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-13T06:21:55+00:00

    I think mine is a keyboard problem on the Surface. I was using a newer purchased backlit one for my Surface Pro as I am a consultant who travels a lot to developing parts of the world and a back lit keyboard is very useful on long haul flights and when power failures occur as one is working on a critical document.

    I switched back to the non-backlit keyboard and did not had the problem for 3 weeks. I did have the problem while working in Word during a power failure last night but I can't swear that I did not hit the wrong key in the dark.

    Will report if the problem has returned.

    Now I have another problem, why is my new backlit keyboard I bought in December 2013 causing this behaviour on the Surface Pro 128 I bought July 2013?

    Best,

    Tony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments