Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-04-09T02:02:14+00:00

    This has been escalated to Microsoft, and having the repro steps will be very helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T23:06:05+00:00

    You got it!  The sequence you described - swipe from right followed by double click in a cell in Excel reliably causes the research pane to materialize.  Then, after closing it, it reappears every time you click anywhere in the worksheet until you Alt-click and reclose the pane.  Saving it with Alt F S also fixes the problem.

    Let's hope someone from Microsoft figures out what to do with it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T22:57:57+00:00

    Suzanne - I also suspect it is a keyboard issue.  It happens in Word and Excel and has even happened occasionally for me in Outlook and PowerPoint (I didn't even know you could get the Research Pane in Outlook!) - It has happened most often when using the Touchpad on my Surface.  I have never had it happen when using my Samsung laptop or my HP desktop.  It usually happens when I have inadvertently swiped in from the right side - usually in conjunction with another touchpad movement.   Closing with the x in the top right doesn't rectify the problem, although saving the document usually does.  Sometimes I have to close the application and reopen it.   I can't reproduce it steadily, but can usually make it happen if I keep futzing with the touchpad making crazy swipes and taps.  I am using a type cover 2 on a Surface Pro 2

    I have never had it happen without the keyboard attached, although I do little editing in Word or Excel without the keyboard. 

    It also generates other strange keyboard results.  For instance, backspace becomes undo and either z or w (I can't remember which) would generate a 36.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments