Word Research pane shut off

Anonymous
2010-02-16T15:38:50+00:00

How do I turn off the Research paine when I open Word?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-21T03:20:20+00:00

You will get a close symbol on the top right corner of the Research Pane, you can click on the close symbol and turn it off.

 Or you can click on the icon for Research Pane on the Toolbar at the top.

 If this does not resolve the issue, follow the basic Troubleshooting steps provided in the article given below:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541.


Ruchi Bisht, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-03T17:40:08+00:00

    I just purchased a Surface Pro 3 with the keyboard cover and am having exactly the same problem as these other folks whether or not the keyboard is attached.  Without the keyboard attached there is no alt key.  What might the solution be in that case?

    Many thanks,

    Lynn Pritchett

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-17T03:47:01+00:00

    Somehow the research pane was activated every time I clicked or typed in the document and I couldn't find a way to turn it off in the Menu. Clicking on "x" in top-right hand corner of the pane closed the pane but it opened again as soon as I clicked back in the document.

    After reading this thread I found that "Alt-click" (left-click) stopped the Research pane from appearing - Whew! Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-27T13:03:15+00:00

    I would agree about the keyboard problem. I have a Surface Pro and both the older type keyboard and the backlit Surface Pro 2 one.

    I don't have the problem with the older keyboard but I prefer the backlit one on long overnight flights and when I am working in countries with frequent power failures as I am now.

    Since I read about Alt-Shift & Alt-Click I switched back to backlit keyboard the last 2 days and have had 2 incidents of the pop up research pane which is a lot less than previously experienced.

    Will report on  findings after a few more days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-27T12:45:29+00:00

    Thanks!  That's helpful.  Will try the AlT-Shift.

    Also, FWIW, I only seem to have problems when I'm using the touchpad mouse.  When I have my Arc wireless Mouse in use, I don't seem to have any issues.  Definitely think it's a keyboard issue.

    I think it is definitely the keyboard. I have a Surface Pro 2 with the backlit keyboard and the problem happens all the time - forcing reboots (until I read about the Alt-click & Alt-Shift remedies on this forum). I also have a Surface Pro 1 with the older 'Type' keyboard - which is much better. I have used the older keyboard on the Surface Pro 2 and the problem doesn't occur.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments