add to dictionary greyed out in word 2010

Anonymous
2011-02-26T02:06:38+00:00

i'm not able to add words to my dictionary in word 2010.  when i right click on an underlined word, 'add to dictionary' is greyed out.  please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-02T03:56:26+00:00

This is how I solved the problem:

Go to File, Options, Proofing and click on Custom Dictionaries. Then pick the dictionary language. Then you will see your language in the list with a checked box next to it.  Remove the check and check it again. Then click OK and OK. And hopefully your problem will be solved.

This worked for me, I hope works for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-08T13:04:44+00:00

    Dan and Suzanne, I'm sorry you're taking this attitude, but flaming a person with a legitimate problem isn't a solution.  The solution you proposed (the link) simply isn't the answer in this case, and any solution shouldn't require special knowledge or a person with a degree in computer science to implement.  As the original complainant said, this problem just cropped up recently, and it could easily be a software bug in a "fix" to another problem.  Lord knows, this software is complex enough.  I will agree with those who say Microsoft's support system is flawed.  Most companies will handle legitimate support requests without imposing outrageous charges, but it seems Micsosoft's attitude is a bit of "Let 'em eat cake."  Anyway, the solution I proposed works for me, a bit annoying but effective, but I'm not saying it would work for anyone else.

    P.S. I was a mainframe systems programmer working on mostly big IBM mainframes for about 40 years and mostly in assembly languange.  While I don't have that level of expertise on PCs, I have been working with Word ever since it came out in the mid-80s including writing complex macros (Why, oh why, do they keep screwing around with the macro language?) and before that (beginning in 1981) I had a Xerox Star terminal on my desk, the forerunner of all things Windows and Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-07T06:46:50+00:00

    It actually covers both. Your situation has been a common question for years. I don't normally answer Word questions, but even I know this one, and I know it's covered in the referenced article.

    Nobody here can be blamed for your reading comprehension deficiencies.

    If you're one of MSFT's biggest customers, have your internal support people written you off too? Bummer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-07-07T04:04:28+00:00

    I'm not sure why you say the article doesn't cover Word 2010, as it certainly does.

    By all means email Steve Ballmer; I am sure he will be happy to tell you where to go.

    If you were any employee (much less a senior decision maker) at any of Microsoft's largest clients, you would have contract support service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments