add to dictionary greyed out in word 2010

Anonymous
2011-02-26T02:06:38+00:00

i'm not able to add words to my dictionary in word 2010.  when i right click on an underlined word, 'add to dictionary' is greyed out.  please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-02T03:56:26+00:00

This is how I solved the problem:

Go to File, Options, Proofing and click on Custom Dictionaries. Then pick the dictionary language. Then you will see your language in the list with a checked box next to it.  Remove the check and check it again. Then click OK and OK. And hopefully your problem will be solved.

This worked for me, I hope works for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T15:37:43+00:00

    If the comprehensive information provided at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm is of no help to you in solving this problem, then perhaps Word is not meant to be your word processor. That article represents the best understanding available of how Word's spell checking works.

    May I suggest Open Office as an alternative? Perhaps that product has volunteers in its support community who will be more welcoming to someone of your temperament.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T08:01:39+00:00

    Please read my previous comment where I told you I had tried that and it did NOT solve the problem. Please guide me to somewhere I can get some help from someone perhaps more knowledgeable than yourself. I'm afraid I've lost confidence in you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-03T22:40:44+00:00

    Have tried that and it still doesn't solve the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments