add to dictionary greyed out in word 2010

Anonymous
2011-02-26T02:06:38+00:00

i'm not able to add words to my dictionary in word 2010.  when i right click on an underlined word, 'add to dictionary' is greyed out.  please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-02T03:56:26+00:00

This is how I solved the problem:

Go to File, Options, Proofing and click on Custom Dictionaries. Then pick the dictionary language. Then you will see your language in the list with a checked box next to it.  Remove the check and check it again. Then click OK and OK. And hopefully your problem will be solved.

This worked for me, I hope works for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T19:22:24+00:00

    Regrettably, none of the 'Comprehensive' information provided on the link you gave me is of any use as it doesn't cover:

    1. Word 2010
    2. The problem of intermittent 'greyed out' outages.

    Your suggestion I use a different company for my word processing needs is ridiculous. I have been using Word since the early nineties and my business is all on Word as well, so I have no desire to switch to something different.

    All I am asking of you is an answer that deals with the specific information I have given you or the information needed to ask someone else. Should I try emailing Steve Ballmer and ask him where I can find someone at Microsoft who can help me?

    Please don't waste my time with any more fatuous suggestions of making your life easier by taking my business elsewhere.

    Also, as a Microsoft shareholder I am not happy that you are suggesting clients take their business elsewhere. For all you know I could be a senior decision maker at one or more of Microsoft's largest clients.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T17:10:48+00:00

    Sadly, that still doesn't solve the problem. When I first bought my Windows 7 computer with Microsoft Office installed, the Word spellcheck worked fine. I strongly suspect that the problem was later caused by a Windows update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T15:37:43+00:00

    If the comprehensive information provided at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm is of no help to you in solving this problem, then perhaps Word is not meant to be your word processor. That article represents the best understanding available of how Word's spell checking works.

    May I suggest Open Office as an alternative? Perhaps that product has volunteers in its support community who will be more welcoming to someone of your temperament.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments