add to dictionary greyed out in word 2010

Anonymous
2011-02-26T02:06:38+00:00

i'm not able to add words to my dictionary in word 2010.  when i right click on an underlined word, 'add to dictionary' is greyed out.  please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-02T03:56:26+00:00

This is how I solved the problem:

Go to File, Options, Proofing and click on Custom Dictionaries. Then pick the dictionary language. Then you will see your language in the list with a checked box next to it.  Remove the check and check it again. Then click OK and OK. And hopefully your problem will be solved.

This worked for me, I hope works for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T08:01:39+00:00

    Please read my previous comment where I told you I had tried that and it did NOT solve the problem. Please guide me to somewhere I can get some help from someone perhaps more knowledgeable than yourself. I'm afraid I've lost confidence in you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-03T22:40:44+00:00

    Have tried that and it still doesn't solve the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-07-03T21:53:03+00:00

    Guruprasad Ra has suggested repairing Office, which is the step most likely to solve your problem, and has provided a link to an article that will tell you how to do this. Or you can follow these instructions:

    • Click the (Windows) Start button, then click Control Panel.
    • Open the Programs and Features control panel.
    • Select your version of Microsoft Office 2010.
    • Click Change near the top of the window.
    • Wait while the window is loading, then click Repair.
    • Click Continue and follow the instructions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments