Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and then open it again. Windows 7

Anonymous
2011-01-12T01:03:48+00:00

I've got a new problem that cropped up some time ago and only today did I find some critical information about this problem. Every once in a great while, with no consistency, a user will come back to their workstation and find the following error message on their screen:

"Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and then open it again."

We have our 2002/2003 format MS Access database backend stored on a shared drive on our SBS 2008 server. All the workstations are connected to the domain and they each have a local copy of the 2002/2003 format MS Access database frontend on their own hard drive. The server is a high performance dell with (4) 15K RPM hard drives in RAID 5, 12GB of memory, (2) Xeon processors, and gigabit wires to an unmanaged Netgear switch. All the workstations are gigabit as well. The server does file sharing, printer sharing, DHCP, DNS and MS Exchange on our small network. We have 8 workstations in use on a daily basis and two workstations that get used occasionally.

All the workstations are running Office 2007 or Office 2010. This problem affects both 2007 and 2010. All workstations have MS Updates turned off but we do bring them up to date every few weeks.

All of our Windows 7 workstations are having this problem andonly our Windows 7 boxes are having this problem . These Windows 7 workstations are all 32 bit Dell Optiplex 760 or 780 minitower desktops. The machine I'm currently investigating has a built-in Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit network adapter with driver version 11.6.92.0 from 4/12/2010.

We are using MS Server Backup on the server. I'm fairly sure that this problem is not related to the backup because the problem does not correspond at all with our designated backup times.

I'm quite sure there is no interruption in network access. All of our XP workstations do not have this problem, including both those that are heavily used and those that are used lightly. I've checked for errors in the event log on the server and the Windows 7 workstations and there are no related errors logged on either one. There are no distantly related errors. Nothing is logged around the time of the so-called "disconnect". I'm quite positive the network is not dropping connection at all, and if it is, it has to be the sort of hiccup that is so brief that there are no popups, warnings, errors, etc., other than this MS Access problem.

Our network is a controlled environment. We have content filtering using OpenDNS and we have Norton Antivirus 2011 installed on every workstation. We haven't had viruses on any of our workstations in a couple years, maybe more. We don't have any other applications giving any error messages remotely similar to this.

I do not believe this is a problem with our network as it is fast and rock solid. Our server is very clean and never needs rebooting unless we are installing some kind of updates or software that requires it. I do see a lot of other posts online about this problem but so far there don't appear to be any solutions, only the standard rhetoric of "check your network" which is clearly not doing anything to escalate and solve this issue.

I did have to make some changes in the registry on our server right after we rolled out the new server. The changes I'm talking about are specifically "Turning off the sharing violation notification delay". You'll see this documented on Microsoft's website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889588 . We made these changes because there was a very long delay when more than one user was using the database. This was also true of our 2003 Server and we had made those same changes on there as well.

How would you recommend troubleshooting this issue? I can probably do wireshark if necessary although the problem is fairly infrequent, maybe once or twice per day. It will require running any analysis tool for many hours in hopes that the problem occurs.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-02T14:51:51+00:00

    Why would you post a link to Experts Exchange? That is cruel to people who don't subscribe.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-13T10:58:59+00:00

    Hi All,

    RESOLVED

    I work as an IT Administrator for my company and we had this issue when we moved from windows XP to Windows 8.1

    Every 10 minutes or so this error would occur on our databases, and not on any other MS applications. We checked our internal network several times and found no fault.

    After weeks of surfing the web and attempting most of the things, It was something very simple that actually resolved the issue, and with everyone else having their own resolutions, i'd thought i'd chuck in my 2 cents.

    Our databases are stored on a 2008 R2 server that our users map a drive too. What I done was instead of having the users map to the DB's I created shortcuts on their desktops. 

    Right click the shortcut and go to properties, the "Target" and "Start in" both had paths using the mapped drive letter so: J:\business\databases\db.accdb

    So all I done was changed the mapped drive letter to the unc path, the shortcuts now have "Target" and "Start in" path of \SERVERNAME\business\databases\db.accdb

    Users now use them shortcuts for using the databases and I haven't had any issues in 5 days that this has been in action. Really hope this helps other folks like me.

    -Jamie

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. ScottGem 68,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-07-13T11:46:14+00:00

    You have a bigger problem. Your solution indicates that your databases are a) not split or b) if split, the front end is being shared. In either case, this is a big nono. 

    The proper configuration for a multi-user Access application is a shared back end on a network share containing ONLY the tables and a LOCAL front end installed on the user's PC. The linking in the front end can and should use UNC instead mapped drives.

    If your users are all loading the same, non split, apps that is an invitation to corruption. It might cure the network access problem, but will cause other problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-12T17:25:08+00:00

    If you run into this issue navigate to C:\Users"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Access  and move all access files to new folder for safety sake and try reopening Access DB. This fix will work for other office apps i.e. Excel, Word, etc. 5 minute fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-08-19T00:10:26+00:00

    Bless you Kurt. I had an Access database running on a virtual Windows 10 box, and the virtual server was paused due to a disk error at the host. One of my access databases crapped out, several were fine, and was ok but had network access errors the four times I ran a macro that processed stuff within it. I did what you suggested and it processed with no errors. It will run many more times. Hopefully, it will continue to run without error.

    Why did this fix it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments