Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and then open it again. Windows 7

Anonymous
2011-01-12T01:03:48+00:00

I've got a new problem that cropped up some time ago and only today did I find some critical information about this problem. Every once in a great while, with no consistency, a user will come back to their workstation and find the following error message on their screen:

"Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and then open it again."

We have our 2002/2003 format MS Access database backend stored on a shared drive on our SBS 2008 server. All the workstations are connected to the domain and they each have a local copy of the 2002/2003 format MS Access database frontend on their own hard drive. The server is a high performance dell with (4) 15K RPM hard drives in RAID 5, 12GB of memory, (2) Xeon processors, and gigabit wires to an unmanaged Netgear switch. All the workstations are gigabit as well. The server does file sharing, printer sharing, DHCP, DNS and MS Exchange on our small network. We have 8 workstations in use on a daily basis and two workstations that get used occasionally.

All the workstations are running Office 2007 or Office 2010. This problem affects both 2007 and 2010. All workstations have MS Updates turned off but we do bring them up to date every few weeks.

All of our Windows 7 workstations are having this problem andonly our Windows 7 boxes are having this problem . These Windows 7 workstations are all 32 bit Dell Optiplex 760 or 780 minitower desktops. The machine I'm currently investigating has a built-in Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit network adapter with driver version 11.6.92.0 from 4/12/2010.

We are using MS Server Backup on the server. I'm fairly sure that this problem is not related to the backup because the problem does not correspond at all with our designated backup times.

I'm quite sure there is no interruption in network access. All of our XP workstations do not have this problem, including both those that are heavily used and those that are used lightly. I've checked for errors in the event log on the server and the Windows 7 workstations and there are no related errors logged on either one. There are no distantly related errors. Nothing is logged around the time of the so-called "disconnect". I'm quite positive the network is not dropping connection at all, and if it is, it has to be the sort of hiccup that is so brief that there are no popups, warnings, errors, etc., other than this MS Access problem.

Our network is a controlled environment. We have content filtering using OpenDNS and we have Norton Antivirus 2011 installed on every workstation. We haven't had viruses on any of our workstations in a couple years, maybe more. We don't have any other applications giving any error messages remotely similar to this.

I do not believe this is a problem with our network as it is fast and rock solid. Our server is very clean and never needs rebooting unless we are installing some kind of updates or software that requires it. I do see a lot of other posts online about this problem but so far there don't appear to be any solutions, only the standard rhetoric of "check your network" which is clearly not doing anything to escalate and solve this issue.

I did have to make some changes in the registry on our server right after we rolled out the new server. The changes I'm talking about are specifically "Turning off the sharing violation notification delay". You'll see this documented on Microsoft's website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889588 . We made these changes because there was a very long delay when more than one user was using the database. This was also true of our 2003 Server and we had made those same changes on there as well.

How would you recommend troubleshooting this issue? I can probably do wireshark if necessary although the problem is fairly infrequent, maybe once or twice per day. It will require running any analysis tool for many hours in hopes that the problem occurs.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-19T00:10:26+00:00

    Bless you Kurt. I had an Access database running on a virtual Windows 10 box, and the virtual server was paused due to a disk error at the host. One of my access databases crapped out, several were fine, and was ok but had network access errors the four times I ran a macro that processed stuff within it. I did what you suggested and it processed with no errors. It will run many more times. Hopefully, it will continue to run without error.

    Why did this fix it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. ScottGem 68,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-07-13T11:46:14+00:00

    You have a bigger problem. Your solution indicates that your databases are a) not split or b) if split, the front end is being shared. In either case, this is a big nono. 

    The proper configuration for a multi-user Access application is a shared back end on a network share containing ONLY the tables and a LOCAL front end installed on the user's PC. The linking in the front end can and should use UNC instead mapped drives.

    If your users are all loading the same, non split, apps that is an invitation to corruption. It might cure the network access problem, but will cause other problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T11:32:01+00:00

    Hi after disableing smb2 and removing HP tools to no avail, i discovered i had two versions of office installed on my system, Office 2013 Home and Business and Office 2013 Professional, i removed Home and Business and his message disappeared instantly, hope this helps anyone else as it appears to be a long standing issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-16T15:15:17+00:00

    Sorry to Microsoft,

    we need a solution since so long far away. The only wordaround is to disable SMB2 on the server. Enable SMB2 and the problem is here. Disable SMB2 no problems.

    The same is in SMB3 with Windows 2012 R2.

    Sorry, the same shi......

    Very frustrating and no help or solution helps.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-11T09:33:51+00:00

    I have a completely different solution...

    Our network is running 3 Windows 7 PCs (no other O/S), this error just started happening randomly one day and then it became more and more frequent to the point that I was starting to wonder if I would have to replace Access with something else. Prior to this when we were running 3 XP PCs I never had this problem once in more than 7 years.

    Worse than the lack of network access was the database corruption that often accompanied a network access interruption. I have no idea how but duplicate records were being introduced into the database as a result of the network interruption even though the tables had duplicates not allowed and I was always creating a new and unique ID as the primary key for each new record. Even more bizarrely the database would then drop the primary key on the table that had the duplicates. Once that happened the database would be unusable until I manually went through, removed all the duplicates and added the primary keys back on. Access should have blocked the duplicates completely, not let them in and drop the primary key (with no error or warning messages of course). This corruption was occuring 2-3 times a week!

    Anyway that's the background to my problem. I tried EVERY single fix suggested here and on other sites, not one of them made the slightest bit of difference to the network access interruption. I also tried reinstalling Access, did not help, tried different A/V programs, that did not help either. I had also noticed that network copying had become very slow, I changed some network card parameters and solved this but it did not help the primary problem.

    One day I found the answer purely by accident and here's what I did (note that this solution is appropriate for a single network environment, I cannot vouch for what you should do in a multiple network environment):

    1. Go to the Network and Sharing Centre
    2. On the left it side under the "View your active networks" section it will tell you what your active network is, click on the icon with the 2 blue blocks (that is the picture icon not the text), this will open the "Set Network Properties" dialog box.
    3. On the "Set Network Properties" dialog box click on the "Merge or delete network locations" text, this will open the "Merge or Delete Network Locations" dialog box. Note that you may need to enter an administrator password.
    4. On the "Merge or Delete Network Locations" if you see more than one network then you may have the same problem I did, merge or delete as appropriate until there is only one network and remember its name.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 for all computers on the same network ensuring they all use the same network name.

    The above solved the problem for me permanently and ended months of frustration and wasted hours. In our network the 2 "client" PCs had Network, Network 2 and Network 3 defined. The "server" PC had only 2 of these 3 (I can't remember which 2). I can only guess that Windows 7 was trying to switch between these phantom networks and thus interrupting the network connection. Note that in our network all 3 PCs are running virtually identical software and hardware configurations, the server computer has all the Access tables and the 2 clients interface to these tables using their own copy of an Access database with forms, queries, reports etc.

    I hope this post can help some people who are as stuck as I was :-)

    Hi byronator,

    I'm facing the same problems for some of my customers, especially with Server 2012.

    I was really interested in your solution and wanted to test it, but i couldn't find the "Merge or Delete Network Locations" on Server 2012 (with domain).

    Does someone know how to implement this solution in this environment?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments