Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and then open it again. Windows 7

Anonymous
2011-01-12T01:03:48+00:00

I've got a new problem that cropped up some time ago and only today did I find some critical information about this problem. Every once in a great while, with no consistency, a user will come back to their workstation and find the following error message on their screen:

"Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and then open it again."

We have our 2002/2003 format MS Access database backend stored on a shared drive on our SBS 2008 server. All the workstations are connected to the domain and they each have a local copy of the 2002/2003 format MS Access database frontend on their own hard drive. The server is a high performance dell with (4) 15K RPM hard drives in RAID 5, 12GB of memory, (2) Xeon processors, and gigabit wires to an unmanaged Netgear switch. All the workstations are gigabit as well. The server does file sharing, printer sharing, DHCP, DNS and MS Exchange on our small network. We have 8 workstations in use on a daily basis and two workstations that get used occasionally.

All the workstations are running Office 2007 or Office 2010. This problem affects both 2007 and 2010. All workstations have MS Updates turned off but we do bring them up to date every few weeks.

All of our Windows 7 workstations are having this problem andonly our Windows 7 boxes are having this problem . These Windows 7 workstations are all 32 bit Dell Optiplex 760 or 780 minitower desktops. The machine I'm currently investigating has a built-in Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit network adapter with driver version 11.6.92.0 from 4/12/2010.

We are using MS Server Backup on the server. I'm fairly sure that this problem is not related to the backup because the problem does not correspond at all with our designated backup times.

I'm quite sure there is no interruption in network access. All of our XP workstations do not have this problem, including both those that are heavily used and those that are used lightly. I've checked for errors in the event log on the server and the Windows 7 workstations and there are no related errors logged on either one. There are no distantly related errors. Nothing is logged around the time of the so-called "disconnect". I'm quite positive the network is not dropping connection at all, and if it is, it has to be the sort of hiccup that is so brief that there are no popups, warnings, errors, etc., other than this MS Access problem.

Our network is a controlled environment. We have content filtering using OpenDNS and we have Norton Antivirus 2011 installed on every workstation. We haven't had viruses on any of our workstations in a couple years, maybe more. We don't have any other applications giving any error messages remotely similar to this.

I do not believe this is a problem with our network as it is fast and rock solid. Our server is very clean and never needs rebooting unless we are installing some kind of updates or software that requires it. I do see a lot of other posts online about this problem but so far there don't appear to be any solutions, only the standard rhetoric of "check your network" which is clearly not doing anything to escalate and solve this issue.

I did have to make some changes in the registry on our server right after we rolled out the new server. The changes I'm talking about are specifically "Turning off the sharing violation notification delay". You'll see this documented on Microsoft's website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889588 . We made these changes because there was a very long delay when more than one user was using the database. This was also true of our 2003 Server and we had made those same changes on there as well.

How would you recommend troubleshooting this issue? I can probably do wireshark if necessary although the problem is fairly infrequent, maybe once or twice per day. It will require running any analysis tool for many hours in hopes that the problem occurs.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-12T17:25:08+00:00

    If you run into this issue navigate to C:\Users"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Access  and move all access files to new folder for safety sake and try reopening Access DB. This fix will work for other office apps i.e. Excel, Word, etc. 5 minute fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-26T19:59:36+00:00

    This problem does indeed appear to be an MS issue related to SMB 2.0. Here's a post where the user came to the same conclusion:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/SBS_Small_Business_Server/Q_25594983.html

    I'm currently testing a work-around on one workstation where I have disabled SMB 2.0. I think I will try applying the hotfix to another workstation so that I can compare the two "fixes" to see if both of them resolve the error.

    If this is in fact an SMB 2.0 issue, as I presume it is, I'm quite miffed that the general reply is, in your own words, "though it may not see like a network problem, it actually is". I've read many other forums posts on this issue and the symptoms are always the same; it only affects Windows 7 workstations connecting to Server 2008 while the XP workstations continue to run without any problem. I believe this "check your network" approach closes the door for MS to find a resolution to the real problem.

    I work from a remote location so I have not been able to check to see if the network drives are disconnected or not when this happens. If I do find out, I'll report back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-16T20:35:17+00:00

    I've got a slightly different spin on the same problem.  Workstations are multiple platforms, xp and Windows 7.  Server is SBS 2011.  Office is 2010 though access utility was written for 2003.  I've performed all suggested fixes to this point.  Here's the kicker, when I put the frontend and the backend on the machine I get the same network access interruption issue.  Sitting in the same folder on the same workstation, obviously that's not a networking error.  Any thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-19T18:07:20+00:00

    I have applied these fixes to both my 2008 server and the windows 7 and vista clients.  The issue still remains.  I also went as far as setting up a new 2003 std server and moving the data to it.  Clients are still getting the error.  I have 2 customers that are having this issue and the common thread between both of them is that we moved them to a virtual enviroment running on VMWare 4.0.  I am going to focus in on that to see if the issue is stemming from there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-03-07T22:44:03+00:00

    I would be interested in hearing whether or not the hotfix helped with this issue. We have much the same issue, Vista and Windows 7 both have problems with network disconnects to databases stored on our servers. Multiple XP systems connected to the same network do not exhibit the same problem.

    Until recently it was only an issue for one of our developers, and he had simply given up on using the Vista system on any Access database opened remotely. Before giving up on it though, we went through three network cards and completely replaced the wiring for the Vista system. Now we've added three new Windows 7 workstations and they are showing the same symptoms. The share is on a 2008 Server, so I am fairly certain this is the same issue.

    I will be testing this evening after disabling SMB 2.0.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments