My blank document has grid lines. How do I remove them?

Anonymous
2011-01-25T21:49:14+00:00

My blank document has grid lines. How do I remove the grid lines?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-06-12T01:32:46+00:00

Select the Page Layout menu option.  All the way to the right you'll see "Align"  The "View Gridlines" setting is in there.  This was driving me batty for a while.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-11T17:52:34+00:00

In Microsoft Office Starter 2010:


"Page Layout" Tab >

"Align" Button is on the far, top, right hand side >

Drop-Down Menu - Uncheck "View Gridlines" - Second option from the bottom >

Done.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-04T22:52:43+00:00

    David --- you might be able to add the command View Gridlines (from All Commands) to the Quick Access Toolbar and then you can check and uncheck it as needed.  I think Starter edition has the Quick Access Toolbar.  You should be able to Customize this toolbar by adding commands to it, even if the starter edition does not have all the tabs of the Ribbon (going from memory here, I just upgraded from Starter to Office 2010 Professional).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2011-05-04T23:29:58+00:00

    According to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter-help/word-features-that-are-not-fully-supported-in-word-starter-HA010374498.aspx, "You can display the Quick Access Toolbar above or below the ribbon, but you cannot add or remove commands from it." The Starter edition also can't run macros, which would be another way to turn off gridlines in the standard edition.

    I think the only way to fix this may be to locate the Normal.dotm template and delete it, letting Word build a new one from the defaults.

    And one more annoyance: I don't know of any MVPs who have a copy of the Starter edition to check these things. It's available only through computer vendors who load it onto new PCs, and I'm not about to buy a new PC just to get a look at Starter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-20T19:04:22+00:00

    Thanks , it worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments