"Fixed Objects will move" pop-up freezes Excel

Anonymous
2010-08-10T19:14:50+00:00

Spreadsheet opens and I can navigate for awhile and, for example, when I go to save the sheet the message pops up: Fixed Objects Will Move.  This freezes Excel and I use Task Mgr to "END" the Excel program

This spreadsheet was used for ten months, add a column per month in Excel 2007 - now, possibly since installing Excel 2010, I get this message.  I haven't noticed it in other spreadsheets.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-11T10:27:47+00:00

‘Fixed objects’ in Excel may refer to multiple items, such as comments, graphics, controls, etc.   Do you recall inserting any fixed object in the Excel sheet?   Try the following steps:   Note: Ensure to back-up the original file prior to performing the steps given below.


1)   Search the objects in the worksheet by pressing ‘F5’ to display the ‘Go To’ dialog box

2)   Click on ‘Special’ and select the ‘Objects’ radio button then click on OK

3)   This will select all the objects in the Excel sheet, you may delete them and verify the status

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T00:05:10+00:00

cell comments are not treated as Objects by Goto > Special > Objects

Use Tools > Options > View > Comments: Comments and Indicator (2003 or earlier)

or

Review > Show All Comments (2007 or later)

and you will be able to see where the comments are.


Bill Manville. Excel MVP, Oxford, England. www.manville.org.uk

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-12T23:12:37+00:00

    Thanks for your help Mar18519 - this is the only thing that worked for me :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T10:46:18+00:00

    I have suddenly come across the same issue.

    It only seems to be related to rows below a certain point, as I have been using this sheet for almost 2 years and added a number of things to it over that time.

    There are various historic comments in the sheet, but I have recently added 2 new columns and inserted some comments in there to assist another department, and since adding these it shows up "fixed items will move" after using a filter, when click to clear the filter.

    I have managed to resolve the issue by removing the comments from these cells but they were inserted for a reason so not a great fix.

    Ideally I do need to be able to add comments in the future but I'm going to have the same problem when using filters if I do add these in.

    Can you offer any suggestions as to why is only affecting new comments below a certain point and not the ones further up the sheet.

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T12:29:13+00:00

    Possibly only the new ones are positioned in a place where they will end up below the bottom of the worksheet when the filter is applied?

    Did you try the Move and Size with cells fix from about 3 messages back?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments