"Fixed Objects will move" pop-up freezes Excel

Anonymous
2010-08-10T19:14:50+00:00

Spreadsheet opens and I can navigate for awhile and, for example, when I go to save the sheet the message pops up: Fixed Objects Will Move.  This freezes Excel and I use Task Mgr to "END" the Excel program

This spreadsheet was used for ten months, add a column per month in Excel 2007 - now, possibly since installing Excel 2010, I get this message.  I haven't noticed it in other spreadsheets.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-11T10:27:47+00:00

‘Fixed objects’ in Excel may refer to multiple items, such as comments, graphics, controls, etc.   Do you recall inserting any fixed object in the Excel sheet?   Try the following steps:   Note: Ensure to back-up the original file prior to performing the steps given below.


1)   Search the objects in the worksheet by pressing ‘F5’ to display the ‘Go To’ dialog box

2)   Click on ‘Special’ and select the ‘Objects’ radio button then click on OK

3)   This will select all the objects in the Excel sheet, you may delete them and verify the status

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T00:05:10+00:00

cell comments are not treated as Objects by Goto > Special > Objects

Use Tools > Options > View > Comments: Comments and Indicator (2003 or earlier)

or

Review > Show All Comments (2007 or later)

and you will be able to see where the comments are.


Bill Manville. Excel MVP, Oxford, England. www.manville.org.uk

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-22T08:26:54+00:00

    I have been getting the same error message. I am presuming it is due to quite a few 'comments' on the sheet. I don't want to delete these.

    I tried f5 options as explained above but it did not pull out any objects at all.

    Any advice?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-05T03:49:48+00:00

    Hello. I've had that problem as well. But after looking for objects in my sheet, it turns out I didn't have any.

    I did however, find a simple fix. What was causing it is that I used a filter which went all the way down to the last available cell in excel. The fix was that I simply had to remove this filter and reapply it to the cells with values only.

    I too had many comments that I didn't want to delete. Turns out the comments didn't affect the error message.

    Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

    Regards,

    Ben

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments