"Fixed Objects will move" pop-up freezes Excel

Anonymous
2010-08-10T19:14:50+00:00

Spreadsheet opens and I can navigate for awhile and, for example, when I go to save the sheet the message pops up: Fixed Objects Will Move.  This freezes Excel and I use Task Mgr to "END" the Excel program

This spreadsheet was used for ten months, add a column per month in Excel 2007 - now, possibly since installing Excel 2010, I get this message.  I haven't noticed it in other spreadsheets.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-11T10:27:47+00:00

‘Fixed objects’ in Excel may refer to multiple items, such as comments, graphics, controls, etc.   Do you recall inserting any fixed object in the Excel sheet?   Try the following steps:   Note: Ensure to back-up the original file prior to performing the steps given below.


1)   Search the objects in the worksheet by pressing ‘F5’ to display the ‘Go To’ dialog box

2)   Click on ‘Special’ and select the ‘Objects’ radio button then click on OK

3)   This will select all the objects in the Excel sheet, you may delete them and verify the status

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T00:05:10+00:00

cell comments are not treated as Objects by Goto > Special > Objects

Use Tools > Options > View > Comments: Comments and Indicator (2003 or earlier)

or

Review > Show All Comments (2007 or later)

and you will be able to see where the comments are.


Bill Manville. Excel MVP, Oxford, England. www.manville.org.uk

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-31T19:20:15+00:00

    I do not want to get rid of my 2 comments in Excel 10.  There are filters in the spreadsheet.  The message  Fixed Objects Will Move appears while filtering - not to fewer items but to more items.  Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-30T09:19:06+00:00

    Mar18519

    Check your "options" (look under the file tab) in Excel 2010. 

    Click on "advanced" and make sure that "Cut copy and sort inserted objects with their parent cells" is checked.  

    I checked that box and it solved my problem.

     It's wierd, because it only happens with some spreadsheets, not others (me to)

    Worked of me

    Thanksyou

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T18:02:01+00:00

    Check your "options" (look under the file tab) in Excel 2010.  Click on "advanced" and make sure that "Cut copy and sort inserted objects with their parent cells" is checked.   I checked that box and it solved my problem.

    It's wierd, because it only happens with some spreadsheets, not others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments