"Fixed Objects will move" pop-up freezes Excel

Anonymous
2010-08-10T19:14:50+00:00

Spreadsheet opens and I can navigate for awhile and, for example, when I go to save the sheet the message pops up: Fixed Objects Will Move.  This freezes Excel and I use Task Mgr to "END" the Excel program

This spreadsheet was used for ten months, add a column per month in Excel 2007 - now, possibly since installing Excel 2010, I get this message.  I haven't noticed it in other spreadsheets.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-11T10:27:47+00:00

‘Fixed objects’ in Excel may refer to multiple items, such as comments, graphics, controls, etc.   Do you recall inserting any fixed object in the Excel sheet?   Try the following steps:   Note: Ensure to back-up the original file prior to performing the steps given below.


1)   Search the objects in the worksheet by pressing ‘F5’ to display the ‘Go To’ dialog box

2)   Click on ‘Special’ and select the ‘Objects’ radio button then click on OK

3)   This will select all the objects in the Excel sheet, you may delete them and verify the status

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-23T00:05:10+00:00

cell comments are not treated as Objects by Goto > Special > Objects

Use Tools > Options > View > Comments: Comments and Indicator (2003 or earlier)

or

Review > Show All Comments (2007 or later)

and you will be able to see where the comments are.


Bill Manville. Excel MVP, Oxford, England. www.manville.org.uk

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-18T16:09:58+00:00

    This problem only exhibited istself if the 2010 version not the 2007 version or earlier.  This problem existed whether the base file was an .xls or .xlsx file format.  After seraching entire workbook found no objects at all in the file I kept trying things.  While still not sure what is going on I found a work around that worked on one file at least [have not tried others yet]  Take the following steps before trying to save the file:

    1. Click on "File"
    2. Click on "Info Tab"
    3. Left Click on "Check File Issues"
    4. Click "Inspect Document"
    5. Click "No" [Seems like it does nothing but must have some impact]
    6. Clickk "Inspect"
    7. Click "Close"
    8. "Save As *.xlsx" or "Save"

    I repated these steps several times with the same file and it appears to correct the problem in the file what ever it may be.  In this particular file it appeared to be a hold over from an old Lotus .WK4 file that had been converted to Excel years ago and upgraded numerous times.  Not sure if this is related or not but above fix corrected this one file.  Good luck!

    Thanks, this worked perfect!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T08:18:16+00:00

    This works! For note after clicking "Inspect Document" I only check on "Comments and Annotation".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-30T00:15:51+00:00

    This worked for me :)

    Thank you

    Was starting to worry I would have to re do my spread sheets

    THANK YOU

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments