Need hyperlinks index entries in word 2007

Anonymous
2010-01-30T14:25:46+00:00

Hi All,


I am trying to find a way to get the page numbers in a Word 2007 generated index to contain hyperlinks to the corresponding content in the document. So far I haven't been able to find a way to do this. 

Web searches seem to suggest this could be done with a macro, but that is beyond my skill level. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or knows of a pre-existing macro I could use to achieve this.


Thanks


Neil


Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-01-30T14:05:21+00:00

    But won't this be wiped out whenever you update the index?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-30T15:44:21+00:00

    But won't this be wiped out whenever you update the index?

    Your probably right Suzanne. I failed to mention that I made my Index manually by copying the docx into excel, took out the body of text leaving the headings etc. Sorted alphbetically, saved as csv, imported at the end of the original docx then manually added the Cross references.

    A lot of work - but it seems to work.

    Best wishes

    Simon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-01-30T18:03:01+00:00

    If your "index" is just an alphabetical list of headings, then you could accomplish the same thing by creating a TOC, unlinking it, then sorting it alphabetically, then adding the cross-references.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T06:40:08+00:00

    I would like to be able to do this too. I found this thread on a search to see if it's possible.

    It really is an oversight on Microsoft's part.

    Just to grasp at straws: the OP was using Word 2007, as am I. Is there any chance that this was been changed in Word 2010? Or (gulp!) 2013?

    I can't imagine it would be difficult to implement, like the way they overhauled the Document Map for 2010.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T07:14:53+00:00

    I'm using 2010 and never found an easy way to do it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments