Need hyperlinks index entries in word 2007

Anonymous
2010-01-30T14:25:46+00:00

Hi All,


I am trying to find a way to get the page numbers in a Word 2007 generated index to contain hyperlinks to the corresponding content in the document. So far I haven't been able to find a way to do this. 

Web searches seem to suggest this could be done with a macro, but that is beyond my skill level. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or knows of a pre-existing macro I could use to achieve this.


Thanks


Neil


Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-06T16:31:00+00:00

    Is that really the answer you are going with? That word is primarily for printed documents? WOW!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-06T18:43:53+00:00

    It's a possible explanation (remember that Word has been around for quite some time, from before online documents became common). And just to be clear, I have no influence over the Office development team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-15T13:58:18+00:00

    Could you please post a link to the hyperlinked index macro?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-15T14:10:00+00:00

    I'm afraid the best I can do is direct you to a developer forum at MSDN: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/threads.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-09-15T16:12:20+00:00

    It's not an explanation. It's not even a very good excuse. Quark and FrameMaker have been around longer than "online documents" as well. So has PageMaker (the precursor to InDesign.) These programs are designed primarily as a replacement for old hand type-setting when printing documents. Desktop publishing software meant for "print publishing." ("Publishing online" is a more recent usage, initially promulgated primarily by bad Microsoft HTML WYSIWYG programs.) This hasn't affected other software development teams from keeping with the times. Even Wordperfect has a means of hyperlinking index entries. The only reasons that MS would develop code to create hyperlinks on a generated table of contents and NOT develop code to create hyperlinks when generating an index would be oversight, laziness, or some combination thereof.

    I understand you have no influence on the development team. But you shouldn't try to make excuses for them either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments