Word cannot complete the operation because too many files open

Anonymous
2011-08-08T18:05:14+00:00

I've upgraded to Lion and am now having this error message every time Word 2011 tries to auto save:

word cannot complete the operation because too many files open

I click OK and then it says:

Word is unable to save the AutoRecover file in the location you have specified. Make sure that you have specified a valid location for AutoRecover files in Preferences, and that you have permission to write files to the location you specified.

I've tried changing the location for autosave and also made sure that the folder has read/write privileges for all users. I've done some Googling and not been able to find any other references to this problem since 2004ish.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-06-19T13:34:35+00:00

You should have added "for me" because that solution did work for at least 18 other users.

So let's try this, which I'm surprised we did not suggest before. It's called a safe boot. It's a simple procedure that will attempt to load in your Mac only software, add-ins, fonts, etc. etc. that are official versions of Apple software and other approved vendors. If Word works, it probably means that some software is interfering with it (i.e. software that was not allowed to execute under safe boot conditions).

  • Shut down you Mac
  • Turn it on
  • As soon as you hear the initial "boing" sound, press Shift (that's Apple's instructions; I press is as soon as I see the screen turn on)
  • Hold it down until you see the Finder and it seems to stop loading

Once the Finder loads, test Word. If it works, the problem is caused by non-Apple software added to your user account or your Mac.

There is a similar procedure involving the creation of a brand new user. This ensures the user does not have any additional stuff in their account. You could try that and then test word from that new user.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T10:15:50+00:00

    Done :

    Last login: Sun Dec 30 11:09:45 on console

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ launchd limit maxfiles

    launchd: This program is not meant to be run directly.

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ launchctl limit maxfiles

    maxfiles    16500          16500

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$

    Just an afterthought : why choosing such a high value ?

    Will it affect system or root in any way ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T10:25:22+00:00

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ launchctl limit maxfiles

    maxfiles    16500          16500

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$

    Just an afterthought : why choosing such a high value ?

    Will it affect system or root in any way ?

    Great. Is the issue gone now?

    I had a different issue - when copying large amount of files from Windows machine to Samba share on a mac I would get the same error about "too many open files". The similar limit on windows is 16384; I increased this  number a little to account for system stuff. Then I've set the same limit to samba server and to launchd. This resolved the issue. While looking for the solution though I stumbled upon this thread - thought to share my solution :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-30T10:33:14+00:00

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$ launchctl limit maxfiles

    maxfiles    16500          16500

    MacBook-Pro-de-Macbook:~ macbookpro$

    Just an afterthought : why choosing such a high value ?

    Will it affect system or root in any way ?

    Great. Is the issue gone now?

    I had a different issue - when copying large amount of files from Windows machine to Samba share on a mac I would get the same error about "too many open files". The similar limit on windows is 16384; I increased this  number a little to account for system stuff. Then I've set the same limit to samba server and to launchd. This resolved the issue. While looking for the solution though I stumbled upon this thread - thought to share my solution :)

    Thanx.

    To soon to tell if solved. Usually problem occurs when queue of saves temp files in Office exceeds a few dozen (but sometimes it occurs when the count is just 15 or 20).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-20T12:04:01+00:00

    The solution to the similar problem was to increase the limit for simultaneously open files (which is 256 by  default:

    In the in /etc/launchd.conf add line 

    limit maxfiles 16500

    and reboot.

    Already tried this too. Infamous message continues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments