ONENOTE interferring with printing

Anonymous
2010-08-23T01:40:04+00:00

I keep getting an error message re: ONENOTE when I try to use my newly installed printer.  It worked just fine about 5 times then out of the blue when I tried to print again there is an error message which reads:  "Before you can use this feature ONENOTE must start for the first time.  You can return here and try again after ONENOTE starts."  I have no idea how to remedy this.  I did a trouble shoot and it shows my printer is working just fine.  PLEASE HELP!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-23T02:32:01+00:00

It sounds like the OneNote printer got set as the default and you have not started OneNote.

Try this:

Open the Control Panel

Find the printer you want to use

Right click it and choose "Set as default printer"

Does this work for you?


John Guin [msft]

OneNote Test Team

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-24T19:52:55+00:00

    I have started OneNote a couple of times, then closed it. I checked to make sure that my OneNote 2007 is  activated. It is activated. I have set OneNote as default printer. I have tried printing to OneNote via the Print function (Send to OneNote) for both IE, Word 2007, and FireFox. In every instance, One note error message pops up and says "Before you can use this feature ONENOTE must start for the first time.  You can return here and try again after ONENOTE starts."

    Setup:

    I am running Win 7 on a new Toshiba Satellite A665. This is the first time I have attempted to print to OneNote on this machine, with OneNote 2007. It is also my first attempt at using Onenote on Win 7. The combination of OneNote 2003 and Vista worked on my 2 year old Toshiba Satellite A205. I have attempted no other combinations.

    Next I will try rebooting and again printing to OneNote 2007. Note that in following the "Getting Started with OneNote" I was able to print a screen capture to OneNote, but this is inadequate, since only what appears on screen (not the whole web page) ends up in OneNote 2007.

    I am fresh out of ideas for how to fix this. Note that I have not yet set up a real printer. My bet is that it's a driver issue. Must at least one printer driver be installed before one can print to OneNote? That sounds like a bug to me. Should do it whether I have an actual printer or not. I don't know how to check for a pseudo printer driver for OneNote...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-19T12:54:32+00:00

    I don't understand why I would want to use OneNote printer? I just want to print a Word document on my WIFI HP printer. But in Word I can only send to OneNote? And I cannot set the HP as default, because OneNote is set as default and I cannot take the tick away?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-16T03:30:07+00:00

    I have the same problem and I set as default printer and oneNote still pops up. my son upgraded my computer from viste to windows 7, so how do I get the printer to work??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more