ONENOTE interferring with printing

Anonymous
2010-08-23T01:40:04+00:00

I keep getting an error message re: ONENOTE when I try to use my newly installed printer.  It worked just fine about 5 times then out of the blue when I tried to print again there is an error message which reads:  "Before you can use this feature ONENOTE must start for the first time.  You can return here and try again after ONENOTE starts."  I have no idea how to remedy this.  I did a trouble shoot and it shows my printer is working just fine.  PLEASE HELP!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-23T02:32:01+00:00

It sounds like the OneNote printer got set as the default and you have not started OneNote.

Try this:

Open the Control Panel

Find the printer you want to use

Right click it and choose "Set as default printer"

Does this work for you?


John Guin [msft]

OneNote Test Team

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T23:46:00+00:00

    I had this problem with an attachment (pdf) received with an email.  That attachment document had print properties set - to OneNote.  A document will override the computer's default printer setting.  Rather than print using the one button for "Print" (which does not tell you what it is doing behind the curtain), use the complete function chain:  click File / Print and then look to see what printer is set for the document.  If it is OneNote, click the drop-down to select your printer from the list.

      If you have an Office suite, OneNote is included and causes your printer list to contain OneNote as a printer option.  The solutions listed that deleted OneNote caused that "printer" to fall off the list.  If a document calls for a "printer" that does not exist, the default rolls to the computer's default.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T02:57:25+00:00

    I agree.  What a pain ... like others, I just want to print a page without going to one note.  More "new and improved" I guess :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T14:37:49+00:00

    I have my printer set as default printer but everything still goes to OneNote.  It is driving me nuts! 

    Mary Attree

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T20:56:09+00:00

    It sounds like the OneNote printer got set as the default and you have not started OneNote.

    Try this:

    Open the Control Panel

    Find the printer you want to use

    Right click it and choose "Set as default printer"

    Does this work for you?

     


    John Guin [msft]

    OneNote Test Team

    http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin

    This is great.  Easy to understand.  You did a great job!

    Darl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments