ONENOTE interferring with printing

Anonymous
2010-08-23T01:40:04+00:00

I keep getting an error message re: ONENOTE when I try to use my newly installed printer.  It worked just fine about 5 times then out of the blue when I tried to print again there is an error message which reads:  "Before you can use this feature ONENOTE must start for the first time.  You can return here and try again after ONENOTE starts."  I have no idea how to remedy this.  I did a trouble shoot and it shows my printer is working just fine.  PLEASE HELP!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-23T02:32:01+00:00

It sounds like the OneNote printer got set as the default and you have not started OneNote.

Try this:

Open the Control Panel

Find the printer you want to use

Right click it and choose "Set as default printer"

Does this work for you?


John Guin [msft]

OneNote Test Team

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T15:50:05+00:00

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-25T01:31:30+00:00

    Keep in mind that there may be two versions of OneNote on your Windows 8 computer. An "app" version from Windows Store and a "desktop" version from Office. For me, the Office version was the culprit. On Windows 8 Start page, scroll down to see a list of all programs and look under Microsoft Office, not the letter "O". Hope that helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-17T20:29:53+00:00

    I went in and deleted the printer that said one note, it then defaulted to my regular printer. So far it is working fine. Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-15T20:55:21+00:00

    I had the same problem and I want to thank you John, I followed your instructions and the problem was fixed, you save me hours of aggravation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments