ONENOTE interferring with printing

Anonymous
2010-08-23T01:40:04+00:00

I keep getting an error message re: ONENOTE when I try to use my newly installed printer.  It worked just fine about 5 times then out of the blue when I tried to print again there is an error message which reads:  "Before you can use this feature ONENOTE must start for the first time.  You can return here and try again after ONENOTE starts."  I have no idea how to remedy this.  I did a trouble shoot and it shows my printer is working just fine.  PLEASE HELP!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-23T02:32:01+00:00

It sounds like the OneNote printer got set as the default and you have not started OneNote.

Try this:

Open the Control Panel

Find the printer you want to use

Right click it and choose "Set as default printer"

Does this work for you?


John Guin [msft]

OneNote Test Team

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-03T05:51:12+00:00

    No, it does not work. My printer was selected already correctly, but One Note hijacks the printing. How can we uninstall it? I don't see it on the list of programs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-19T23:33:48+00:00

    i went to control panel then...

    devices and printers then...

    looked on the right of my printer (which is set as default) saw it say send to Onenote 2013...

    i right clicked this and clicked remove device, PROBLEM SOLVED 

    hope it works it was quick.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-27T06:25:31+00:00

    This solved my problem. I had only ever booted up the application version of OneNote and not the Office version. Word was looking for the office version to have been booted, so it was throwing an error.

    To find the 2 different versions, look up OneNote in the Windows search and select "OneNote 2016".

    You can tell if this is effecting you because the icons are different. If you see a different icon for OneNote when the error comes up, then this is probably the problem.

    Also note that is no way to delete the OneNote app, it is a default app. So for now we are stuck with both. I have removed all visibility for the app version and replaced it with the office version to avoid confusion (start menu, task bar, etc.)

    Tech support help me through the issue so hopefully we will see it resolved in an upcoming patch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T03:04:29+00:00

    Hi I uninstalled OneNote because I had the same trouble that you are all having... But now if I go to control panel than to uninstall something it is saying I have no programs to uninstall on this computer. Yet they are all there, so just letting you know that you may want to check this out on your computer encase the same thing has happen to you...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments