"error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Anonymous
2010-08-06T03:09:22+00:00

Is there a fix for this problem?

I have Office 2010 operating on Windows 7 64 bit

When I select File >> Open and click on a Word file (new format or 2003 format) the preview pane has a message as follows

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Even if I create a new document and save it, trying to see it in the File Open dialog box gives the same message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-20T22:10:35+00:00

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097 for workarounds.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-13T21:06:05+00:00

    It is now 2012.  How long do they need to fix the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-17T16:48:34+00:00

    Why is this problem still not solved? And why are we not being told that anyone is even trying to solve it?! This is a very basic & common function, not an obscure problem. It applies to three of the most common bits of software in the world (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), made by one of the most 'reputable'(??) manufacturers (Microsoft). It occurs every time on my PC - a 6 month old Dell running Windows 7 (64 bit) & Office 2010.

    How much more standard does a problem have to be before it's addressed?

    Workarounds are acceptable for short periods of time, but this is not a short time. Is anything being done or not?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-17T16:29:31+00:00

    It's nice to know others are having the same problems and you are right, why can't they fix it?  It used to work.  I don't want to have to find another program to preview a file to get a piece of information without opening the whole thing up.  Can't they just put this function back to where it was in office 2003?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-01-16T16:49:32+00:00

    I tried all of the work-around methods and none of them work for previewing Word files. I can preview Excel files in Excel but I can't preview Word docs in either Windows Explorer nor in Word nor in Excel, nor any Office product. So I guess there is no solution or work-around for me. Would be nice if this got fixed since it wasn't an issue in previous versions of Word. 

    Are you using the All Files (*.*) option in Excel?

    Yes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments