"error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Anonymous
2010-08-06T03:09:22+00:00

Is there a fix for this problem?

I have Office 2010 operating on Windows 7 64 bit

When I select File >> Open and click on a Word file (new format or 2003 format) the preview pane has a message as follows

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Even if I create a new document and save it, trying to see it in the File Open dialog box gives the same message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-20T22:10:35+00:00

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097 for workarounds.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-09T18:24:38+00:00

    Happy New Year.  Here we are in 2012 Microsoft and no fix for it's Office 2010 bugs.  The fix for this apparently is to preview word documents through Excel?  Oh come on.  This slows me down tremendously when I'm scanning for a certain letter, etc.  I don't understand why something that worked so well in the 2003 Office doesn't work for 2010.  THis also includes the autotext issue working sporadically.  Hello...is anyone working on these issues, or does it  just not matter?

    I think it just doesn't matter.  It is very annoying and since it worked before, why can't they make it work again??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-21T20:45:35+00:00

    Buy Microsoft and order the programmers to fix it! ;-)

    Just for kicks, I opened OpenOffice's writing program to see if the problem occurs there. The first three Word files I clicked on previewed just fine. Upon clicking the fourth one, however, I got the familiar "This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer."

    FWIW, I *never* get the error when I use Windows Explorer for previewing. So, if it's an issue with Window Explorer, then it must be in whatever API Word and other programs use to access Windows Explorer's resources.

    It's a shame its been going on so long and Microsoft won't fix it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-15T22:23:59+00:00

    Buy Microsoft and order the programmers to fix it! ;-)

    Just for kicks, I opened OpenOffice's writing program to see if the problem occurs there. The first three Word files I clicked on previewed just fine. Upon clicking the fourth one, however, I got the familiar "This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer."

    FWIW, I *never* get the error when I use Windows Explorer for previewing. So, if it's an issue with Window Explorer, then it must be in whatever API Word and other programs use to access Windows Explorer's resources.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-15T21:48:00+00:00

    I don't want a work-around I want my Word-Program-to-work.  I don't want to use another application(Explorer) to preview what should work in Word.  I don't want to use Excel to preview Word and I don't want to use Word to preview Excel.  I also do not want to create an email message and attach a message so I can preview it from there.  One post said it was a Windows problem and not a Word problem.  OMG.  So if that is true why would I use Windows Explorer instead of Word???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments