"error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Anonymous
2010-08-06T03:09:22+00:00

Is there a fix for this problem?

I have Office 2010 operating on Windows 7 64 bit

When I select File >> Open and click on a Word file (new format or 2003 format) the preview pane has a message as follows

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Word previewer"

Even if I create a new document and save it, trying to see it in the File Open dialog box gives the same message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-20T22:10:35+00:00

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983097 for workarounds.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-14T11:33:58+00:00

    Maybe it's time to close this thread as there's no prospect of MS doing anything and we're all wasting valuable time on it. Perhaps those of you who want to go down the Office 2013 and Metro route will have better luck and everything will work perfectly. It's a path I don't want to follow myself. Good luck guys.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-12T16:31:16+00:00

    MS has a LOT of customers. So problems have to have a serious impact before they get worked on. Serious as defined by MS. Apparently "previewer" problems are not high on their to-do list. The way to get issues higher on the list they either to recognize it as a serious problem on their own, or a LOT of people have to be vocal about complaining about it. This forum is one place to bring issue to notice, click on the "me too" button on the original posting.  Here are some other places you can make you complaint known:

    Your satisfaction Matters! Let us know your thoughts about your Microsoft experience.

    https://secure.opinionlab.com/ccc01/o.asp?id=yDnqREvN

    MS has a very large audience, so if you want your suggestion to be acted upon you need many people to make the same suggestion. So ask your friends, fiends <grin>, enemies, relatives, co-workers, strangers on the street also submit your suggestion to all of the following locations.

    Here is proof  that once in a blue moon MS does actually listen to user input about some of it’s “stupid” design decisions: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/09/visual\_studio\_11\_grey\_no\_more/

    So “.. yes Virginia …”, it is worth complaining about the stupid ribbon, or other pet peeve, they sometimes pay attention.

    But then again, when I looked at the “before” and “after” I don’t see much improvement!  I’m afraid this is a fore-runner for a “metrofied” Office 15.  Well, we’ll see.

    Another example of MS sometimes listening is found in Outlook. In 2010 MS removed the “Unread” messages view from Outlook.  In 2013 the “Unread” view is returned.


    Microsoft: Tell us what you think

    http://mymfe.microsoft.com/support.microsoft.com/feedback.aspx?formid=24

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx?sitename=CL100569831033&type=0


    Office 2013 / Office 365 Preview Help Forum

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/officeitpropreview/threads

    MS Office 365

    http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft%20%20Online%20%20Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210


    Office 2010

    http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx 

    http://www.worldstart.com/ms-office-2010-putting-in-your-2-cents/print/ (it is something of a run around, but there are links to lots of good resources too)


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-12T15:42:33+00:00

    I have the same problem with the previewer as the other folks do.  I have looked at the referenced article (KB983097), and I find the answer unacceptable.  This is a bug - a known bug - and the workarounds are effectively to ignore the bug.  This post is nearly 2 years old.  This bug should have been fixed by now.  I want a real solution (i.e. fix the bug in an update).  I'd like to speak to a Microsoft representative without having to give credit card information to a support page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-20T08:38:28+00:00

    Well I followed the 4 pages of this thread in the hope that I might find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ...

    But then, of course, you never can get to the end of a rainbow can you Microsoft? :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments