How can I include the postal barcode on envelopes I print?

Anonymous
2010-08-19T21:58:15+00:00

I've been using word for years.  I occassionally print envelopes including the postal barcode.  I haven't figured it out yet in office 2010.  I hope that some one can help me.  Thanks in advance.

Lee Warren

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-13T23:40:07+00:00

As explained in  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290 the POSTNET barcode that Word can create is now obsolete, so it was removed from the Envelope dialog starting in Word 2007.

If you really want to put in a POSTNET barcode, you can go to Insert > Quick Parts > Field and insert a BarCode field (which is how the option in the Envelopes dialog used to do its work). The syntax

of the field code is explained here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/field-codes-barcode-field-HP005186205.aspx


Jay Freedman

MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

Hello everyone!   I too was very frustrated by this.  When I used the "add field" under the quick parts menu in Word 2010 and added "barcode", I would always get "Invalid Zip" as the response.  After some investigating, I found the fix:  if you go to the USPS website at https://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/download.cfm and download uspsEncoderMsOffice-1.3.0.zip, you can install it in seconds.

Once you install, all you have to do is the following: I went back to the "mailings" menu, selected "envelopes", then went to the address field and clicked "insert", then clicked "quick parts", selected "bar code" and clicked "is US address" and entered the zip code.  This worked perfectly for me in Word 2010. 

Hope this helps!!

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-30T10:58:10+00:00

The download you want for a 64-bit Windows system running 32-bit Office software is uspsEncoderMsOffice-1.3.1.  Looks similar except the MsOffice part.

The solution referenced requires more operator intervention than I would like each time one wishes to insert a bar code on an envelope.  Hopefully, that will be a fix in the future.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-08-20T01:37:37+00:00

As explained in  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290 the POSTNET barcode that Word can create is now obsolete, so it was removed from the Envelope dialog starting in Word 2007.

If you really want to put in a POSTNET barcode, you can go to Insert > Quick Parts > Field and insert a BarCode field (which is how the option in the Envelopes dialog used to do its work). The syntax

of the field code is explained here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/field-codes-barcode-field-HP005186205.aspx


Jay Freedman

MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-24T04:18:43+00:00

    I've been using word for years.  I occassionally print envelopes including the postal barcode.  I haven't figured it out yet in office 2010.  I hope that some one can help me.  Thanks in advance.

    Lee Warren

    hello,

    Do you have installed in your system the barcode fonts?

    You need to use a barcode font with the text to transform in barcode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-02T23:02:02+00:00

    I see this question is 3½ years old, so I hope this might help you or someone else. I have used the following to print 5 and 9 digit postal zip codes in Word 2013. Here goes:

    2 Feb 2014

    I was very disappointed that Office 2013 did NOT have a postal barcode print feature install! After searching around, I have been able to accomplish this, although not as easy as in Word 2007 – where it just required you check the box that said “Add postal barcode.”

    Anyway, there may very well be a quicker and easier way to do this, but this has worked for both 5 and 9 digit zip codes. Hope it works for you!

    
    **To print an envelope with USPS Zip or Zip+4 - barcode in Word 2013**
    
      ****
    
    First, this requires you download a free file 
    from the following **USPS** site:
    
    [https://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/download.cfm](https://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/download.cfm)
    
    Then select: 
    
    uspsEncoderMsOffice64-1.3.1.zip  (dated 2012-03-27)
    
    After downloading, unzip and install this program. After you click “Finish” you are ready to open Word and start the process.
    
    1)      1) Open Word 2013 > **Blank Document** > **Mailings** >
    **Envelopes** – Fill in “Delivery address:” and “Return address:” (if desired) as in previous versions of Word.
    
    2)      2) Next, click in the box labeled  “**Add to Document**”
    
          This will open in a “print preview” format.
    
    3)      3) Click on the end of the last row of the delivery address [a broken dash line will surround the delivery    address]
    
    (Note: From postal mailings I have received, it appears the USPS would like the barcode at the bottom of the envelope well below the last part of the address information. Therefore, I would suggest you skip at least one line)
    
    4)      4) Now, with the cursor in the spot where you want the zip barcode to go:
    
    5)      5) Click on > **Insert** > **Quick Parts** > **Field** - under “Field names”, select
    **BarCode** 
    
    This will open the “field options” on the right side. 
    
    6)      6) Check the third box down that reads –“Bar code is US zip code”
    
    7)      7) Fill in the zip or zip+4 numbers in the box provided
    
    8)      8) Click **OK**
    
    ****
    
    You are now ready to print your envelope with the zip barcode!!  Good luck!
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments