Excel Web App API?

Anonymous
2010-06-09T22:17:56+00:00

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I was wondering whether there was an API for the Excel Web App? Specifically, I was wondering if it was possible (or if it will be possible in the future) to expose data in a spreadsheet in the Excel Web App as an OData feed, in the way that it is possible with Excel Services?

Thanks,

Chris


Blog: http://cwebbbi.spaces.live.com Consultancy: http://www.crossjoin.co.uk/

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-10T15:15:07+00:00

Hi Chris,

Clayton is right that we don't have an API for the Excel Web App that's available through SkyDrive now, though we do have a few that are available through Excel Services that is part of SharePoint (I'm not sure which you are referring to).  In SharePoint we have:

  • a SOAP Web Service
  • a javascript OM available in the browser
  • a REST API

More details on all of these are available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms582023.aspx

None of these return odata today, but I'd be very interested to hear the scenarios that you're thinking of for using Excel in this type of situation.

Cheers,

Dan

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-13T14:02:40+00:00

    I'd love to hear what you think of the existing REST service since you've played around with it.  Are you finding things that you really like there?  Does it open up interesting scenarios for you as you build solutions?  Are there things that you wish it did but can't figure out how to do?

    cheers,

    -dan [MS]

    Hello Dan,

    I have blogged about my thoughts with Excel Services' REST API at Exploring the Excel Services REST API. I hope its useful to you.

    regards

    Jamie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-23T11:40:02+00:00

    To all still following this thread....

    Chris who began this thread just told me (via twitter) that the Excel Services REST API in Sharepoint 2012 now supports OData: Using OData with Excel Services REST in SharePoint 2013

    That's good news. I have a follow-up question...SkyDrive is getting Excel Forms:

    "Forms are coming to the Office Web Apps on SkyDrive, but due to some last mile integration points, they won't light up there until next month."

    which is a great way of getting data into a spreadsheet stored on SkyDrive, it stands to reason that we also need a good way of getting data *out*. Hence my question is...will the OData service head be available for spreadsheets on SkyDrive?

    I suspect not...but I live in hope.

    regards

    Jamie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-17T20:48:50+00:00

    Hi all,

    Rekindling this now (very) old thread.

    Today saw the release of an API for OneNote documents stored on OneDrive. Great news, really pleased to see this. What would please me MORE would of course be an API that allows me to insert stuff into Excel (something this thread asked for when Chris Webb first raised it nearly four years ago).

    Simple example, I'd love to set up an ifttt recipe that dumps all of my tweets into an Excel workbook stored on OneDrive. Can't do this today, how about it Microsoft? As I say, this thread is nearly 4 years old, are we any closer to getting this?

    regards

    Jamie Thomson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-20T03:20:43+00:00

    Hope Excel Online API coming like OneNote

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments