I would like to support this request for API in Windows Live Excel Web App from the point of view from the video gaming community.
Basic Background:
This might be an odd enough request, but I actively play Eve Online which is an online-only space ship based video game. Within this game, every item is built by another player. There is a huge intricate system of production and markets bringing producers,
sellers, buys, and consumers together. This game has a relatively large, dedicated, and older than average player-base. The last posted average age of players was 28 years old. I play with a group of thirty or so others and I, being 28, am the youngest of
the entire group.
With that being said, there are thousands of people who use spreadsheets and data analysis to gain a competitive edge over thier opponents in the game. The producers recognise this and have built in ways to extract market data from the game for external use
and analysis. CCP (the creators of Eve Online) employ a full economic team to over-see such activities.
This data exporting has resulted in many websites organizing API access to the data that has been retrieved over the years. Importing onto your computer and using Excel (or other local software) was the preferred form of analysis until Google Docs released
their own web-based API supported spreadsheets.
I (and many others in my community) have since moved my spreadsheets to Google Docs in order to more easily share my findings with my fellow gamers. I frequently express my desires to have the better features found in Excel for my spreadsheets but I simply
cannot justify leaving the API-supported sheets and many in my community share my feelings. Google Docs does what we need it to but we greatly desire something better (like Excel).