Display Character Count in Status Bar (Word 2010)

Anonymous
2010-12-25T18:30:36+00:00

I can right-click on the status bar and display the Word Count, but I need to see the Character Count as I type.

How can I display the Character Count in the status bar?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-28T03:08:51+00:00

Without programming a new class event to intercept your typing, you can't get a dynamic character count to display on the status bar and, if you did, it would probably prevent anything else displaying there.

You could, though, use a macro like the following and assign a keyboard shortcut to it:

Sub CharCount()

Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & ActiveDocument.Characters.Count

End Sub

The above macro temporarily takes over the status bar to display the character count. It gets hidden again as soon as you resume whatever you were doing.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2012-03-26T23:18:36+00:00

Technically, something is always selected. If the selection is collapsed to just the insertion point, then the selection is the single character to its right (which may be a paragraph mark). Therefore, the modified macro will show 'Character Count = 1' .

If that makes you unhappy, you can change the macro to this:

Sub CharCount()

If Selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = 0"

Else

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & Selection.Characters.Count

End If

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-27T00:17:35+00:00

    Paul --

    yeah, word counts still survive on paper but I am currently working on an online submission to MIT where all fields are designated in characters, and there are dozens of them. Feel my frustration )) Life goes on.

    Thanks for macro.

    YA

    Word count is not nearly as ubiquitous anymore as it used to be, and in many cases you need to stick to precise character count (and as web forms proliferate, more and more so - counting words is so 80ish).

    Really? Perhaps you should get out more. My uni lecturers specify word counts for assignments, not character counts. So I tend to go with big words to convey concepts rather than a string of dimimutive ones that use up the permitted word count.

    In other contexts (eg printed matter), it's the line count that's important, not the word count or character count.

    As for:

    Clicking on status bar is a bad idea because then you need to move your mouse all across the screen to shut down the dialog that does not close itself on next action - bad, bad ergonomically.

    you could use the ESC key ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-24T14:17:02+00:00

    Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T18:54:43+00:00

    On my old computer I used office 2003 which showed characters used as I typed which I think is what Papasik is looking for so it looks as though office 2010 is a step backwards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments