Display Character Count in Status Bar (Word 2010)

Anonymous
2010-12-25T18:30:36+00:00

I can right-click on the status bar and display the Word Count, but I need to see the Character Count as I type.

How can I display the Character Count in the status bar?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-28T03:08:51+00:00

Without programming a new class event to intercept your typing, you can't get a dynamic character count to display on the status bar and, if you did, it would probably prevent anything else displaying there.

You could, though, use a macro like the following and assign a keyboard shortcut to it:

Sub CharCount()

Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & ActiveDocument.Characters.Count

End Sub

The above macro temporarily takes over the status bar to display the character count. It gets hidden again as soon as you resume whatever you were doing.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2012-03-26T23:18:36+00:00

Technically, something is always selected. If the selection is collapsed to just the insertion point, then the selection is the single character to its right (which may be a paragraph mark). Therefore, the modified macro will show 'Character Count = 1' .

If that makes you unhappy, you can change the macro to this:

Sub CharCount()

If Selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = 0"

Else

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & Selection.Characters.Count

End If

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-21T04:04:35+00:00

    What a great resolution, Paul ~ THANK YOU!!

    I came across this post while Googling for a way to count characters in Word . . . I'm normally not one to just follow someone's macro, but I did yours - and it worked beautifully!

    Thanks Again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-08T11:31:22+00:00

    Thank you to Paul for answering the question and solving my problem. Thank you also Jay for pointing out where I was going wrong. Yes I was sure that it said character and not column (col) as that’s how I remembered it.

    I think this is a good lesson on the human memory which is not reliable as we recall what we “think” that we remember. Is a policeman surprised when 6 witnesses give 6 different versions of what happened? No they’re not

    One thing that I’ve learned from this post is don’t slag anyone based on facts that I remember.

    My apologies to Microsoft for my inaccurate comments

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-08T02:00:19+00:00

    Thank you Mr. Paul Edstein!! Excellent answer and very easy to do. Happy 2013!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments