Display Character Count in Status Bar (Word 2010)

Anonymous
2010-12-25T18:30:36+00:00

I can right-click on the status bar and display the Word Count, but I need to see the Character Count as I type.

How can I display the Character Count in the status bar?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-28T03:08:51+00:00

Without programming a new class event to intercept your typing, you can't get a dynamic character count to display on the status bar and, if you did, it would probably prevent anything else displaying there.

You could, though, use a macro like the following and assign a keyboard shortcut to it:

Sub CharCount()

Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & ActiveDocument.Characters.Count

End Sub

The above macro temporarily takes over the status bar to display the character count. It gets hidden again as soon as you resume whatever you were doing.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2012-03-26T23:18:36+00:00

Technically, something is always selected. If the selection is collapsed to just the insertion point, then the selection is the single character to its right (which may be a paragraph mark). Therefore, the modified macro will show 'Character Count = 1' .

If that makes you unhappy, you can change the macro to this:

Sub CharCount()

If Selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = 0"

Else

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & Selection.Characters.Count

End If

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-14T01:30:01+00:00

    Jay,

    Thank you very much for your information.  

    Mark B

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-03-12T20:57:59+00:00

    Just out of interest what time zone are you in?

    Even if you are in Australia I'm still amazed as to the speed of your reply.

    I'm in Canberra, Australia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-12T13:43:38+00:00

    No, you're absolutely wrong!!!

    I have Word 2003 open on my system right now and can assure you there is no dynamic character count or word count. The only dynamic figures are the section, page, line and column counts, which even Word 2010 has, and these are entirely different from a character count. Furthermore, unlike Word 2003, Word 2010 (which I also have open on my system right now) gives a dynamic word count on the status bar - all you need do is right-click on the status bar and check that option.

    G'day Paul

    I need to learn to google more often before openning my fat mouth and asking more stupid questions.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Most_Valuable_Professional

    Just out of interest what time zone are you in?

    Even if you are in Australia I'm still amazed as to the speed of your reply.

    Thanks and again sorry

    signing off for the night.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments