Display Character Count in Status Bar (Word 2010)

Anonymous
2010-12-25T18:30:36+00:00

I can right-click on the status bar and display the Word Count, but I need to see the Character Count as I type.

How can I display the Character Count in the status bar?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-28T03:08:51+00:00

Without programming a new class event to intercept your typing, you can't get a dynamic character count to display on the status bar and, if you did, it would probably prevent anything else displaying there.

You could, though, use a macro like the following and assign a keyboard shortcut to it:

Sub CharCount()

Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & ActiveDocument.Characters.Count

End Sub

The above macro temporarily takes over the status bar to display the character count. It gets hidden again as soon as you resume whatever you were doing.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2012-03-26T23:18:36+00:00

Technically, something is always selected. If the selection is collapsed to just the insertion point, then the selection is the single character to its right (which may be a paragraph mark). Therefore, the modified macro will show 'Character Count = 1' .

If that makes you unhappy, you can change the macro to this:

Sub CharCount()

If Selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = 0"

Else

   Application.StatusBar = "Character Count = " & Selection.Characters.Count

End If

End Sub

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2012-12-15T01:56:45+00:00

    which showed characters used as I typed

      which show the character position on the current line

    Which is what I said

    Ok it's only for the current line but it's counting the characters which it doesn't do in word 2010

    Maybe it's that I haven't figured out how to set it up but in trying to find out how to do it I came across this site

    If you could enlighten me it would be appreciated

    That might be what you meant, but it's not what you said - you made no mention of the count being limited to the current line. Anyone reading 'office 2003 which showed characters used as I typed' is entitled to believe you were referring to a document total, especially as you claimed Word 2010 lacks the functionality.

    To activate/deactivate it in Word 2010, right-click on the Status bar and check/uncheck the column option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-14T23:45:59+00:00

    which showed characters used as I typed

      which show the character position on the current line

    Which is what I said

    Ok it's only for the current line but it's counting the characters which it doesn't do in word 2010

    Maybe it's that I haven't figured out how to set it up but in trying to find out how to do it I came across this site

    If you could enlighten me it would be appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Paul Edstein 82,871 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2012-12-14T22:59:58+00:00

    On my old computer I used office 2003 which showed characters used as I typed which I think is what Papasik is looking for so it looks as though office 2010 is a step backwards

    Office 2003 has no such facility. The nearest it has are a 'column count', line count and page which show the character position on the current line, the current line on the page and the current page#, respectively. Word 2010 has the same features.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments