Access 2010 can't find wizard to link table to MS Outlook

Anonymous
2010-11-01T00:41:16+00:00

I am using Access 2010 for the first time (I have an exsiting 2007 database).  I am attempting to create a linked table to the Contacts folder in my outlook file (not to the address book).  When doing so I get the following message:

Microsoft Access can't find the wizard.  This wizard has not been installed, or there is an incorrect setting in the Windows Registry or this wizard has been disabled.   To reenable this wizard, click the File Tab and click Access Options.  Click Add-ins, and then the manage list, click Disable Items, and then click Go.  Rerun Microsoft Access or Microsoft Office Setup program to reinstall the wizards.  If the missing wizard is not a Microsoft Access wizard, reinstall it using the Add in manager.

There is nothing disabled in my Add-ins list and I attempted to "Repair" the MS office install to no avail.  This should be a standard access wizard that comes installed.  Anyone have any ideas what the wizard or addin is and where it is located.  This is a Dell PC with MS Office Pro pre-installed.  Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-18T20:21:30+00:00

    After researching the internet, I discovered how to use VBA in MS Access 2007 to create a link to an Outlook Inbox.  So when I am again faced with an opportunity to try Office 2010, then I will try the VBA approach rather than just use a wizard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-05T19:11:44+00:00

    We replaced our primary hard drive and reinstalled all software, except that we decided to go with Office Pro 2010 instead of 2007 on Win XP Pro.  But then we experienced the same exact problem.  We tried everything discussed on this forum and still have the same issue linking to an Outlook folder from Microsoft Access, but only with the main top "Inbox" folder, not with the underlying sub folders.  These folders are from the exchange server and we did not have any PST files in our final test, only OST.  Since we do not need to cache or use Outlook offline, we even tried deleting all the PST files, which did not help.  We also ran updates to the latest service packs and this did not help either.

    Again, this problem does not occur with any of the sub-folders that were created beneath the Inbox folder.  We thought about removing all the sub-folders as a test, but we ran out of time as we needed to get this system up and running quickly.  So we downgraded from Office Pro 2010 to 2007 and now everything works perfectly. 

    Eventually, everyone at my workplace will soon be upgrading to Office 2010.  But for those of us who are MS Access power users, we cannot accept this type of issue for our current solutions unless we find another workaround.  And so we are hoping our IT department will own resolving this with Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-15T11:13:46+00:00

    I renamed my PST file to "My Outlook Datafile.pst" and found that the linking process worked after that point.

    File/Account Settings (Add-Remove)/DataFiles

    click on the current data file

    Settings/Name

    change the name

    OK/Close

    Restart Outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-13T13:43:52+00:00

    Donbolton, could  you please share the steps you took in linking to a contacts folder in an office 365 folder.  I am getting the wizard error when trying to link to the .ost file that outlook created when setting up the my office 365 email via exchange in outlook.  There is no "name" field to change with respect to the .ost file, apparently that is only an option for .pst files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-07-13T13:38:19+00:00

    Port16, I know this is an old post, but could you please share what steps you took to link to a table from "the exchange server".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments